Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Merrow 8-String Pickup Comparsion

Oh yeah.

Quick links- Full Mix0:15 - Pegasus bridge1:17 - Sentient neck (lead guitar)1:29 - Nazgul bridge2:30 - Sentient neck (lead guitar)2:43 - Distortion bridge3:4...

If you want to hear the A/B go to 6:28.

Which one did you like the most?
    Last edited by Scott Olson; 08-01-2013, 05:14 PM.

Re: Keith Merrow 8-String Pickup Comparsion

i wish they made the pegasus , nazgul and sentinent in 6 string

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Morton View Post
      WORD
      joyouswolf on eBay for references.
      Over 1000 all positive feedback.

Comment

Could we get some high quality demos that aren't metal? Not just of these pups but in general. I'm thinking of that other metal demo of 6 string pups that Merrow did a while back; it's good but 1) most people don't play that kind of music 2) level of gain used diminishes the differences between pups, though you can still tell them apart.

Apart from that, these kinds of demos by default are very useful. I liked the sound of the Pegasus the most.
        Originally posted by dominus
        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Morton View Post
          This has popped up a few times. Based on what Keith has told me, and other factors, I'd imagine that SD could put a Pegasus sticker on a JB, a Nazgul sticker on a DD and a Sentient sticker on a 59 or Jazz, and people would think they have the 6-string versions. It also makes me believe that SD could put lighting in a bottle and people would still want a different bottle.

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
          Could we get some high quality demos that aren't metal? Not just of these pups but in general. I'm thinking of that other metal demo of 6 string pups that Merrow did a while back; it's good but 1) most people don't play that kind of music 2) level of gain used diminishes the differences between pups, though you can still tell them apart.

Apart from that, these kinds of demos by default are very useful. I liked the sound of the Pegasus the most.
          I just told Scott a few days ago that Keiths 6-string demo of all this pickup is probably one of the most helpful tools I've seen in comparing tones. And while it didn't get into the 80s shredder type of lead/solo area that I'd personally like, I think it covered enough of the bases to give a good enough range for most people.

The comment on the degrees of gain is a great idea and something I've been working on for some of the projects I have underway right now. Knowing the persnickety nature of some of the cork sniffers around here (or tone sniffers, as i call them). Keith could give Ashurbanipal exactly what he wants and a dozen other people will complain it doesn't suit their wish/want list. At some point we have to find the tune and hum along.

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
            This has popped up a few times. Based on what Keith has told me, and other factors, I'd imagine that SD could put a Pegasus sticker on a JB, a Nazgul sticker on a DD and a Sentient sticker on a 59 or Jazz, and people would think they have the 6-string versions. It also makes me believe that SD could put lighting in a bottle and people would still want a different bottle.
            The Nazgul doesn't sound the same as a DD as shown in the video and the JB is quite a bit different from the Pegasus. The Sentient on the other hand has some characteristics of both the '59 and Jazz.

I'm still looking to get shootouts of Strat pickups, mini-humbuckers, P-90's and Tele pickups. We have a lot more videos out there, but there aren't many shootouts because it takes a ton of time to produce them. Will forward the feedback for the 6 string versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
              The Nazgul doesn't sound the same as a DD as shown in the video and the JB is quite a bit different from the Pegasus. The Sentient on the other hand has some characteristics of both the '59 and Jazz.

I'm still looking to get shootouts of Strat pickups, mini-humbuckers, P-90's and Tele pickups. We have a lot more videos out there, but there aren't many shootouts because it takes a ton of time to produce them. Will forward the feedback for the 6 string versions.
              Love these demos!! Keep Bringin 'Em Scott!!
              Man..if I ever jump for an 8 String, Pegasus Bridge & Sentient Neck would be going in based off of that demo easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
                That's just what Keith told me would be the closest 6-string models that are close to them. Don't shoot the messenger, daddy-o.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

For the bridge I liked the Pegasus a lot, for the neck sentient, at this point I wonder if there some kind of subliminal control around here to make me pick the new models For some of us who really care about the neck pickup your demos should include the neck withouth the track, as you did for the bridge. Also an example of playing a few clean arpegios and chords using the neck in a clean channel would help to better understand how those neck pickups can be used other then solos in a metal song.
                  Last edited by IMENATOR; 08-02-2013, 06:22 PM.
                  Who took my guitar?

Comment

So far this is the best comparison IMO. I really hear the differences especially in the guitar only tracks. these are my impressions...

Pegasus - overall tone is great. pretty even eq across the board with good mids- just not hot enough for my uses
                    Nazgul- Awesome mid range and bass response and the perfect amount of high end. obviously hotter than the pegasus. i think this is for me.
                    Distortion- Super hot and smooth, a touch fuzzy though. Doesn't have midrange punch of the nazgul. almost has a scooped sound in comparison.
                    Invader- I'm actually digging it, it's hot like the distortion, but has better midrange. I do not think it would be bright enough for me though.
                    Blackouts- i'm not really into actives, but these sound much more organic than EMGS. The EQ seems pretty balanced. not as hot as i'd expected

I like the sentient neck more than the distortion neck from the little i heard. it seems like it will be more versatile.

I like the nazgul best. I'm ordering it and the sentient monday! can't wait.
                    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Due to a few of the videos that Keith has done lately, it's given me a LOT better insight and tonality comparisons between a lot of pickups I'm considering getting versus the ones I'm currently using. The one he did of the EMTY Blackout vs. the EMG 707 is eye-opening for sure. Then the video of the Nazgul & Black Winter has got me GAS'ing for a new set of pickups for my ESP Alex Wade and my Stephen Carpenter 7 Custom. Then seeing this video for the 8-string models is still enough of a comparison to help me narrow down a set for the 2 guitars I have in question. So far, I'm considering the follwing:

-Alex Wade sig: Black Winter 7 set -OR- Nazgul & Sentient set. Am leaning a little more towards the Black Winters, as the guitar itself is really dark sounding and it needs something bright to break up that darkness.
                      -Stephen Carpenter 7 Custom: Nazgul (bridge), Pegasus (middle) & either an SSL-6 or Vintage/Cool Rails 7 (neck). Thinking about the Hot Rails for the neck, but think it might be too hot and why I'm thinking of either the Cool or Vintage Rails in the neck to better suit the Nazgul bridge and Pegasus middle humbuckers tonality-wise. I just need to make up my mind as to which would be better and which I'd actually want in the neck spot more...

And I also agree with chris effect... He nails the descriptions and which ones are more to his liking. I too find the Invader to be plenty hot, but think it'd be just a tad too dark for an 8-string. The Distortion does sound brighter, but does miss the mid-range punch and overall clarity of the Nazgul. The Nazgul seems to be perfect for a bridge model for a really hot model, and the Pegasus would really closely follow it for someone who wants a little more sanity and not as much power/output as the Nazgul.

Comment

Working...
                      X