single coil high gain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single coil high gain?

can vintage strats take high-gain distortion?
    I heard that they squeal and feedback,is that true?
    Thanks!

Re: single coil high gain?

For the most part yes its true. There are ways to control it. Even just simply using low volume can control it. Its not so much a question of can. I can play jazz with a Soloist loaded with EMG's through a Diezel. The real question is "why" If you have a reason why almost anything can be done.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I've played a Standard Strat with a Bridge Single Coil through a Vox AC30 VR with the gain almost all the way up. Played Power Chords, Open Chords and Solos. No squeal or feedback, except when I made the guitar feedback. Only the 60-cycle hum that comes with all single coils.

Comment

Sure can.

It depends on your rig. You get what you get, but anything can be tamed with an ISP Techologies Decimator pedal \m/,

I use vintage output lipstick pickups with a Mesa/ Boogie Roadking all the time. It is not my preferred sound but when I feel like playing that guitar, and that amp is set up then that is what I do.

Enjoy,

~LD
        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
          For the most part yes its true. There are ways to control it. Even just simply using low volume can control it. Its not so much a question of can. I can play jazz with a Soloist loaded with EMG's through a Diezel. The real question is "why" If you have a reason why almost anything can be done.
          I just saw this RIGHT after I posted my reply and I agree with this 107%

Very well put.

You can of course do as you please. It is not an optimal situation. Yes it can be done and made to work.

There are much better matches out there.
          For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

It depends on the pickups. Some single coils don't hold up well under high gain while others do.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
              I can play jazz with a Soloist loaded with EMG's through a Diezel. The real question is "why"
              You might think I am crazy, but I actually find the EMG85 to be an excellent pickup for jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by nognow View Post
                can vintage strats take high-gain distortion?
                I heard that they squeal and feedback,is that true?
                Thanks!
                This was in the studio so they could use all that wizardry to eliminate noise but Gary Moore got some searing tones with a single coil back in the day

When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

One thing that really helps is having a tone control on the bridge pickup and rolling off the tone to about 7. Its a double edged sword as you lose output but with a stack/rail (a strat voiced pickup) or one of the other noise reduction techniques out there its not that much of an issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X