banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a strat with an SSL-3 and Fender neck, middle, so the Polarities don't match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a strat with an SSL-3 and Fender neck, middle, so the Polarities don't match

Would the Classic Stack Plus STK-S4 go well with the SSL-3 in the bridge? There's no clips on the Duncan site, only for the apparently discontinued STK-S1. I would get SSL-1's but I find the noise annoying. But, I want that sound, or 95% of it.

Any suggestions?

Re: I have a strat with an SSL-3 and Fender neck, middle, so the Polarities don't mat

I take it you've wired it up normally and you have the snarky ootp sound in certain positions. Swapping the hot and ground wires of the SSL3 should do the trick. The SSL3 will then be in phase with the Fenders but still hum cancelling because it's rw/rp in relation to the Fender pups.
    Originally posted by dominus
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Re: I have a strat with an SSL-3 and Fender neck, middle, so the Polarities don't mat

95% of the cool sound of singles is just that...the single coil sound. With noiseless/stacked etc pickups you lose that subtle "breath" and "sparkle" of a true single. IN the end you have to choose between living with the hum, or living without the subtleties.
      If you play with a lot of gain, then noiseless are useful, but if you don't then for a slight decrease in hum its not worth losing the sparkle.
      Re; polarity. Its not a big deal. Personally i prefer it when the middle pickup is not rw/rp to the other two. Position 2 and 4 wont hum cancel of course but the old skool non-cancelling sound is fatter and more organic for me.
      Getting the perfect strat set up is very much a personal preference and the result of trial and error tho, so go for it and let us know what you find out.
      Last edited by Chickenwings; 08-03-2013, 08:08 PM.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
      X