help !!! pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help !!! pickups

andy, don't get discouraged. one of the first things i did with my first guitar was a pickup swap. it made the guitar sound way better. pickups are the cheapest way to make a guitar sound better. i could tell the difference through my peavey rage.

go for the slash set with a jazz in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by andyaj1 View Post
      whats a sweet amp ??
      There are heaps of sweet amps out there. Fender, Marshall, Vox, Mesa boogie and the list goes on. nice amps come in all shapes and sizes. The trick is to find one that creates the kinds of sounds that you like best.

The amp you have (even tho its made by marshall) is probably the biggest obstacle you have in terms of reaching the tonal nirvava which you seek. Pickups can only sound as good as the amp you are using at the time.

I'm guessing you like the slash sound from you inital post so perhaps start looking around at a real Marshall tube amp. You can pick up some excellent amps for not a heap of coin such as the DSL series amps (the 401 is a nice combo) or the 900 series amps (especially the dual master models) will get you some serious professional level sounds. You can spend more of course, but these kind of amps give you an idea of where you can start - not that these amps are a compromise by any means. A nice amp will change the entire way you play and will give you a much richer and more enjoyable playing experience. Once you have that, then fine tuning your sound with pickup selection is a worthwhile enterprise.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
        There are heaps of sweet amps out there. Fender, Marshall, Vox, Mesa boogie and the list goes on. nice amps come in all shapes and sizes. The trick is to find one that creates the kinds of sounds that you like best.

The amp you have (even tho its made by marshall) is probably the biggest obstacle you have in terms of reaching the tonal nirvava which you seek. Pickups can only sound as good as the amp you are using at the time.

I'm guessing you like the slash sound from you inital post so perhaps start looking around at a real Marshall tube amp. You can pick up some excellent amps for not a heap of coin such as the DSL series amps (the 401 is a nice combo) or the 900 series amps (especially the dual master models) will get you some serious professional level sounds. You can spend more of course, but these kind of amps give you an idea of where you can start - not that these amps are a compromise by any means. A nice amp will change the entire way you play and will give you a much richer and more enjoyable playing experience. Once you have that, then fine tuning your sound with pickup selection is a worthwhile enterprise.
        thanks for that great advice

Comment

Originally posted by Funkfingers View Post
          Pickups can only improve your guitar so much. If your example is extremely resonant, it might reward the expense of installing three US-made Seymour Duncan humbuckers. In my Epiphone BB King Lucille, I installed Tonerider pickups. For your guitar, some combination of TR Alnico 2 Classic, Alnico 4 Classic and Rocksong should do the trick without costing more than the guitar itself.
          sure whats a good price for these pickups ?

Comment

thanks for that great advice
            what would you expect to pay for a dsl 401 ?

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
              andy, don't get discouraged. one of the first things i did with my first guitar was a pickup swap. it made the guitar sound way better. pickups are the cheapest way to make a guitar sound better. i could tell the difference through my peavey rage.

go for the slash set with a jazz in the middle.
              thanks for that esandes was thinking that, but wasnt too sure , the model ive got , epiphone prob use the cheapest pickups available at the time , just want to improve on that cheers

Comment

what would you expect to pay for a dsl 401 ?

about that much, maybe more, maybe less if you are lucky
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

thanks everyone for your help bought a new amp as advised and what a difference !! also gonna change the pickups , cheers all !

Comment

thanks everyone for your help bought a new amp as advised and what a difference !! also gonna change the pickups , cheers all !
                    Cool what amp did you get?
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                      Cool what amp did you get?
                      managed to get a steal i think ,, got a dsl 401 combo limited edition in blue immaculate ,with both pedals and manual , also flight case for £220.00 thats GBP

Comment

managed to get a steal i think ,, got a dsl 401 combo limited edition in blue immaculate ,with both pedals and manual , also flight case for £220.00 thats GBP
                        Nice sounds like a hell of a deal
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                          Nice sounds like a hell of a deal
                          cheers i think so,,

Comment

Working...
                          X