Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson pup picker.....

So here's my scenario for you guys:

I have owned about 5 or 6 different Jackson Randy Rhoads over the years. (I love them and can't lay off them for some reason)

The first one I ever owned was a performer series and it sounded spot on beautiful. (that was before I really "knew" a lot about tones and woods and necks and pups)

The others have all sounded flat-ish.... turn the gain all the way up, pick slowly down strings and get this flattened out popping sound under the distortion.
    I have always assumed it was the small sized lightweight bodies that gave way to the thin flat sound. (Both floyded and hard-tails) skinny strings don't "sing" like they should.

The one Jackson Limited edition I have now has pretty (surprisingly) good stock pups in it, but lets face it, a set of Duncans is always going to make it sound better.

I am concerned though with my choice. I have always and forever sworn by the almighty SH-6. It is in my humble opinion the best metal pickup ever.

I also love the dimebucker in certain applications..... now having said that I have always had large and or fat bodied guitars, Explorers, lots of ML's, Razorbacks, and a few Les Pauls that were all very heavy and fat. All guitars had huge fat necks. only real exceptions to that generalization is the few RR's I have owned. the couple V's I have owned use the DD very well.

So... what I guess I am trying to say is I usually deal with large bodies and they sound perfect in my ear with a DD or a dimebucker or the occasional Alt-8.... but these little Jacksons with their flat necks and lightweight small bodies (alder? Poplar?) don't sound as good with those choices to me, I need/want a more robust full sound out of them.

I have only used DD, patb, invader, and emg's in my jacksons, so perhaps someone with some very specific wood/body shape experience can chime in and recommend a bridge pup for me?

I am leaning toward maybe a new black winter???

I am looking for a passive, strictly metal pickup.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: Jackson pup picker.....

I seem to be its biggest advocate lately but please, try a PATB-2. For metal, it can't be beat. Also, the Parrallel Axis pups are supposed to thicken up a floyded guitar so this may address the issue of thinness you mention. It's simply a great pick up.

Edit: I see you said you tried a PATB. Was it the 2? Maybe give it a go again.

Comment

Hmmmm. Can't really remember which patb it was....
      Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
        I usually deal with large bodies and they sound perfect in my ear with a DD or a dimebucker or the occasional Alt-8
        I think an Alt 8 would sound really good in your Jackson as well as whatever large bodied guitar you've tried it in previously. It'll thicken everything up, but it won't be too bass-y or dry sounding.

Comment

I do prefer the PATB2 these days in my Jacksons. Rhoads used a DD IIRC in his Concorde and Black/Gold Vs.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

Back in before my friend swapped his Rhodes for a King V he was rocking an X2N in the Bridge with a PAF Pro neck, that thing was a beast in the Rhodes...Made the guitar sound 10 lbs heavier..lol

Comment

Alt-8 or Custom 5 for Duncans. *Maybe* Invader.

For Dimarzios, Tone Zone or Steve's Special.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Working...
              X