banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnet swap in a Seth Lover (A5 PAF content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet swap in a Seth Lover (A5 PAF content)

Ok
    I do like my Seth Lover combo in the LP, but this weekend, I was listening to Roger Waters "In the Flesh Live" concert (amazing concert btw, you HAVE to check it out!)

Snowy White has an outstanding tone out of his old beat up LP. Playing the middle position 99% of the time. Definitely alnico 5s in there.

I found my Seth real close, but still a tad too "buttery".
    Anyone tried putting an A5 into a seth lover ?

Evan, or anyone else ?
    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Re: Magnet swap in a Seth Lover (A5 PAF content)

Why not try it and give us a review. My guess is it might be a bit bright, because there's already an initial "bite" to the attack. It's definitely worth a try though. However, folks already love the Antiquity with an A-5, so you might be on to something.
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Jeff,

Well in fact, I just read more about Snowy gear, and find out he has a phase reversal switch on his LP, that might just be the added "bite" Im looking for.

I'll try that mod before altering such great pickup!
      Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Originally posted by Thames
        Jeff,

Well in fact, I just read more about Snowy gear, and find out he has a phase reversal switch on his LP, that might just be the added "bite" Im looking for.

I'll try that mod before altering such great pickup!

That's not a bad idea. Desoldering the covers is a pain anyway

Good luck & let us know how you make out with it.

Jeff

Comment

The out of phase wiring is great. Troy Stetina has a Custom out of phase with a Sustainer pup and his tone is one of the best I've heard. I think that these tones is difficult to have using one pup alone. I have a Custom out of phase with my neck pup (Air Zone - the only availiable I had for test) and the tone is quite unique, very nice. With the right neck pup it'll be really great. Sorry if I'm off the topic.
          Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

That's Snowy's old goldtop, right? Are you sure they're A5 pups? I have no idea, but he used that guitar when he played with Thin Lizzy in the early 80s. I bought the Live at RockPalast Lizzy DVD recently and I was thinking Snowy's tone sounded very A2 - Seth-like! I would imagine an A5 Seth to be very bright.

Comment

I put an A5 in an Antiquity for a while. Not bad, but it lost something special in the process.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

You could try a Nickel C-5/Seth Not the same thing, but possibly as good or better.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

No C-5 pls! No my cup of tea!

Of course, me and Snowy (!!) dont have the same settings and finger.
                  Maybe that pair of AC30s really helped to brighten its tone..

Anyway, the man is an awesome player, with the *perfect* blend of humility/guitar playing. He's one of my favs.

Comment

Didn't Snowy play with Peter Green after Greenie left FMac, and before the Schizophrenia set in?

Comment

Working...
                    X