50's wiring???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50's wiring???

So what is all this talk of 50's wiring? Is it a certain way to soilder up the pathways of the wires? caps? certail ohm pots? If so. Where do you get diagrams?? ron

Re: 50's wiring???

It is a certain way to wire the tone control where you retain treble when you roll down the volume, essentially does the same thing as a treble bleed circiut when the tone is on 10. Also, the volume and tone controls are more interactive in general.

It is worth noting though that there are multiple wirings considered to be "50s wiring". I'm just talking about the wiring most people are referring to.

Comment

Actually, 50's wiring is the way that the volume pots are wired.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It's called 50's wiring because it is the way Gibson wired their guitars in the 50's. The cap from the tone pot connects to the output lug of the volume pot instead of the input (along with the pickup wire), so the tone control affects the tone after the volume is affected. The advantage is supposed to be what was already said, less treble loss when the volume is turned down, but their are certain effects of this wiring that change the way the pots work, so some like it and some don't. It's easy to try, usually just moving one connection per pickup, so I'd say try it and see if you like it. It can also be done on Fender guitars like Strats and Teles, but it is a little more involved in those cases (their are schematics for the mod around if you search). I believe Gibson has gone back to this type of wiring on the Historic line, due to the comments from the Les Paul fanatics.
        Al

Comment

Originally posted by guppypuppy2 View Post
          So what is all this talk of 50's wiring? Is it a certain way to soilder up the pathways of the wires? caps? certail ohm pots? If so. Where do you get diagrams?? ron
          There are at least 3 things commonly referred to as "50s wiring".

Volume pots connected backwards so that they are more independent but kill the resonance peak when used.

Tone pot capacitor to slider of volume pot so that tone pot "autoengages".

Exchange order of capacitor and pot in volume pot which does nothing.

Comment

Here's a few diagrams:
            Coverage of the world of computers, hardware, apps, and the internet. Our blog is the perfect resource for those who want to stay ahead of the curve.

Comment

this is how it has to be for me, I think it is a version of 50s Gibson style.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	5771653

Comment

Not really. 50's wiring is the one I explained, the others are called different things. The one that makes the controls independent is called (of course) "independent wiring". There are a number of these wiring diagrams in the LPF Forum in a sticky, including 50's wiring, independent wiring, modern wiring, and a few others.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                  Not really. 50's wiring is the one I explained, the others are called different things. The one that makes the controls independent is called (of course) "independent wiring". There are a number of these wiring diagrams in the LPF Forum in a sticky, including 50's wiring, independent wiring, modern wiring, and a few others.
                  It's nice that you decided on one thing to be named "50s". Now, how are you going about convincing everybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                    It's nice that you decided on one thing to be named "50s". Now, how are you going about convincing everybody else?
                    I'm not going to argue with you, if you look up the schematics for those wiring diagrams you described, they are referred to as different things. 50's wiring is generally what people call the way Gibson wired their guitars in the vintage days, it basically puts the tone circuit after the volume control affects the pickup. I didn't make it up or name it myself, that's just what it is called in the descriptions of the vintage Gibson wiring. "Independent" wiring is a different thing, and most people that have tried it that I've read don't like it and change it back, it has it's drawbacks as well. As I said, go to the LPF and look for the sticky about wiring diagrams, and you'll see all of those wiring diagrams listed.
                    Al

Comment

Yes, that's 50's wiring.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                      X