banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distortion Trembucker and Trem spaced Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion Trembucker and Trem spaced Distortion?

whats the difference? besides the pole pieces.

Re: Distortion Trembucker and Trem spaced Distortion?

The Trembucker is hotter I believe.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

why bother making 2 pups though? or do they sound different?
      Last edited by wixomwhat; 01-17-2005, 05:28 PM. Reason: y

Comment

i thought trembucker just meant trem-spaced...?

Comment

look at the Humbucker section on the main site. I'm talking about 2 different pickups.

Comment

I was just checking that out. Am I seeing that right?
            The Distortion Trembucker is 21.3k with a ceramic magnet!

Thats like 25% hotter than a Dimebucker even. Yowssa!

Edit: Hmmm . . . wouldn't that make a killer rockin' machine . . .
            A bridge version of the Distortion, (16.6k), in the neck, with a Distortion Trembucker in the bridge.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-17-2005, 07:08 PM.

Comment

that would be a sweet combo!

Comment

The SH-6b Duncan Distortion and the TB-6 Duncan Distortion Trembucker are the same pickup, just different spacings. The PA-TB2 Distortion Trembucker is a completely different pickup. If you take a look at the pictures you will see one of the differences...the pole pieces. The PA-TB2 is hotter and wound to just over 21.3k while the SH-6 and TB-6 are wound to 16.6k. Hope that clears things up a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                  I was just checking that out. Am I seeing that right?
                  The Distortion Trembucker is 21.3k with a ceramic magnet!

Thats like 25% hotter than a Dimebucker even. Yowssa!

Edit: Hmmm . . . wouldn't that make a killer rockin' machine . . .
                  A bridge version of the Distortion, (16.6k), in the neck, with a Distortion Trembucker in the bridge.
                  In this case, the DC resistance is misleading. The Invader (16.8?) is hotter than the PATB2. Check the chart & soundclips.

Hey, Jessica... you mentioned awhile back that Michael Amott uses a JB/59 & a boost pedal... is it the Duncan clean boost?
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

yeah, thats the parallel axis one you guys are talkin about.....not a regular trembucker
                    Originally posted by Aceman
                    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                      Hey, Jessica... you mentioned awhile back that Michael Amott uses a JB/59 & a boost pedal... is it the Duncan clean boost?

He has the SFX-01 Booster Pedal.....not sure what he has it set at, but I know he has it

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica
                        The SH-6b Duncan Distortion and the TB-6 Duncan Distortion Trembucker are the same pickup, just different spacings. The PA-TB2 Distortion Trembucker is a completely different pickup. If you take a look at the pictures you will see one of the differences...the pole pieces. The PA-TB2 is hotter and wound to just over 21.3k while the SH-6 and TB-6 are wound to 16.6k. Hope that clears things up a little bit.
                        I know they are different pickups but what is the sound difference between the 2?

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                          In this case, the DC resistance is misleading. The Invader (16.8?) is hotter than the PATB2.
                          Not exactly misleading. Only misleading if you make the mistake of equating DC resistance directly to output. Here's the deal - as you increase the number of winds, you increase DC resistance, which generally, will also increase the voltage output. But not necessarily the percieved output. Thats because the greater number of windings also increases the inductance, which decreases high-frequency content.

A capacitor passes high frequencies, an inductor low frequencies. We use a capacitor to shunt highs to ground. Or, we can use an inductor to block them. So, as we add windings, we're sort of "tilting" the frequency response - more towards the bass, and less of the treble.

All these factors work together, or against each other, to shape the character of the pup. I'd still like to hear one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica
                            He has the SFX-01 Booster Pedal.....not sure what he has it set at, but I know he has it
                            Cool, thanks.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                            X