Put some EBMM Axis pickups in my LTD. Liking it. :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put some EBMM Axis pickups in my LTD. Liking it. :D

A short time ago, I pulled the EMG 85/60A set out of my LTD EC1000 and made the decision to go to passives. I'd toyed around with a few different pickup set ideas, and then I remembered that I had the pickups from an EBMM Axis in my parts drawer that I'd been saving for a special project. DiMarzio and EBMM will not sell these aftermarket and getting them required some patience and eBay sniping.

I like the sound of these pickups, ESPECIALLY the neck pickup. The Air Norton comes close but there's nothing else quite like it. They seem to sound good in just about any guitar EBMM has them in, so I thought why not put them in the LTD?

I had a friend install them with some new pots and an orange drop cap (I hate wiring up Les Paul types, plus he does excellent work which was needed for this project) and the result has been great!! They remind me more of a modern take on a PAF than anything... great clarity but a lot of body as well. Great harmonics, very smooth and defined overall. Kind of halfway between an Axis and a Les Paul. The neck pickup sounds amazing. I thought I may change the bridge out for a Norton if I didn't like it but it works very well in this guitar so I'll keep it for now. Additionally, I'm liking the uncovered zebra look more than I thought - I was gonna put gold covers on but I think I'll keep it this way for a while.

Anyways, just thought I'd share.

Re: Put some EBMM Axis pickups in my LTD. Liking it.

Looks great man! I bet the tone is unbelievable. I don't know what it is about those pups but I love them in my EBMM and everyone always is blown away by the tone of that guitar too. I think Dmz just got it "right" with that set.

As an aside, I think those EC1000s look soooo cool.
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
      Looks great man! I bet the tone is unbelievable. I don't know what it is about those pups but I love them in my EBMM and everyone always is blown away by the tone of that guitar too. I think Dmz just got it "right" with that set.

As an aside, I think those EC1000s look soooo cool.
      Oh it's believable all right. I believe it's now the best sounding LTD I've ever heard, for sure.

I dunno why DMZ/EBMM won't sell them aftermarket. They'd make a buttload of money if they did. Probably some preexisting agreement between EVH and the other two parties, as these were originally developed for the EBMM EVH guitars.

Comment

Gold covers on a black LP Custom (copy) is the bomb.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          Gold covers on a black LP Custom (copy) is the bomb.
          Agreed. I had gold covers over the EMGs I used to have in there and they just looked killer.

Comment

I'd really love to try those pickups, I've heard only positive things about the set. I'm even seriously considering getting one of the new sterling AX30D guitars that came out this year, I just wished that they didn't cost so much outside the US.

On a side note, could someone tell how the neck pickup compares with the air norton(I mean tonally)? Just curious.
            “Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.” - Jake the Dog

Comment

Originally posted by Hairmail View Post
              I'd really love to try those pickups, I've heard only positive things about the set. I'm even seriously considering getting one of the new sterling AX30D guitars that came out this year, I just wished that they didn't cost so much outside the US.

On a side note, could someone tell how the neck pickup compares with the air norton(I mean tonally)? Just curious.
              I have an Air Norton in my other guitar. It's a wonderful neck pickup, but it's not the N1 (what I just installed).

The Air Norton is by comparison a liiiitle bit smoother on the highs and has a touch more bass. The N1 has a little more bite and a little more midrange content and a little more attitude for it - sweeter and a bit more rude when you dig in with distortion. The clean tones a bit clearer, they have more sparkle. The N1 overall has a bit more of a 3D character to the sound.

It's not a huge difference, but it's enough of a difference for me and a lot of other people to notice and go after these pickups when they come up for sale.

Comment

My only "modern" guitar with the stock pickups...and they are even Dmz pups! I think they are a "lightening strikes" scenario.
                “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                  I have an Air Norton in my other guitar. It's a wonderful neck pickup, but it's not the N1 (what I just installed).

The Air Norton is by comparison a liiiitle bit smoother on the highs and has a touch more bass. The N1 has a little more bite and a little more midrange content and a little more attitude for it - sweeter and a bit more rude when you dig in with distortion. The clean tones a bit clearer, they have more sparkle. The N1 overall has a bit more of a 3D character to the sound.

It's not a huge difference, but it's enough of a difference for me and a lot of other people to notice and go after these pickups when they come up for sale.
                  Very cool. I'll see if I can find a set of those.

By the way B2D, if your axis pickups are here, then whats in your actual axis? And do you like the current setup more than the older one?
                  “Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.” - Jake the Dog

Comment

Very cool. I'll see if I can find a set of those.

By the way B2D, if your axis pickups are here, then whats in your actual axis? And do you like the current setup more than the older one?
                    I think he got them from ebay...

Comment

Originally posted by jmcorey View Post
                      I think he got them from ebay...
                      Bingo.

Comment

And do you like the current setup more than the older one?
                        Sorry... forgot to answer this half of the question.

Yes, I do. I had EMGs in that guitar since the day I got it, and while the EMGs I had in there (60Ab/85n) sounded good for what they were doing (high gain stuff), I came to find that I missed the clarity and headroom for mid-gain and clean stuff. Especially since I've settled (for now) on a passive set of DiMarzios for my other axe, it helped the feel and characteristics to stay consistent with guitar switches.

TL;DR: EMGs were good, what I have now is better. For me, anyways.

Comment

Working...
                        X