randy rhoads used JBs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• randy rhoads used JBs?

last week i read that randy used JBs. any confirmation? just wondering. his live tone kicked so much ass.

Re: randy rhoads used JBs?

Nope
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

His signature Jackson has them stock. And he did play their prototype models with the same pickups so the answer is yes. But it is not the "Rhoads" tone many people think of, as the model was not released until after his death, so he didn't get to use them much at all. But yes, he did use them very briefly.

Comment

Randy died in 1982.

The JB was out in the 70s.

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
          His signature Jackson has them stock. And he did play their prototype models with the same pickups so the answer is yes. But it is not the "Rhoads" tone many people think of, as the model was not released until after his death, so he didn't get to use them much at all. But yes, he did use them very briefly.
          Where did you get this info?

His LP had stock T-tops in it. The Polka dot V had Dimarzio Super D and PAF in it. The Concorde and Rhoads V's both had Jazz and Distortions in them. What guitar did he ever use that had JB's prototype or otherwise in them?
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I'm pretty sure his live tone on Tribute is a Super D loud and proud through a cranked Marshall and I believe an MXR distortion pedal.
            Last edited by Jeff5; 08-07-2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5 View Post
              I'm pretty sure his live tone on Tribute is a Super D loud and proud through a cranked Marshall and I believe an MXR distortion pedal.
              well, you're partially right

Comment

You can hear the tonal difference on Tribute when he used the Les Paul with T Top PAFs as compared to the Superdistortion / dimarzio paf on the Sandoval V

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                  Where did you get this info?

His LP had stock T-tops in it. The Polka dot V had Dimarzio Super D and PAF in it. The Concorde and Rhoads V's both had Jazz and Distortions in them. What guitar did he ever use that had JB's prototype or otherwise in them?
                  Where are YOU hearing that his concorde and rhoads v have a distortion in them. Everywhere I'm reading says it's a TB-4 JB and has been.

Comment

Now I'm finding more things saying distortion but I'm still getting a bunch that say JB. Maybe he used both leaning towards the JB in the later prototype stages? At any rate like I said, a JB won't give you much of a "Rhoads" sound.

*edit. OKAY I found it. His SECOND Jackson prototype Concorde (black and gold with elongated upper horn and fixed tailpiece) had the JB in it, the first one (white pinstriped sharper V) had the Distortion. The JB was his final say and that's why the Jackon Rhoads signatures have them to this day.
                    Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 08-07-2013, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Where are YOU hearing that his concorde and rhoads v have a distortion in them. Everywhere I'm reading says it's a TB-4 JB and has been.
                      It's widely known that the Jackson's had Duncan Distortion/ Jazz pickups in them- this was really before they were production models.

Once they became production models, the bridge became a JB, though since Jackson's were all custom at the time you could get anything you wanted

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
                        It's widely known that the Jackson's had Duncan Distortion/ Jazz pickups in them- this was really before they were production models.

Once they became production models, the bridge became a JB, though since Jackson's were all custom at the time you could get anything you wanted
                        The second Jackson Concorde Prototype has a JB in it, this is confirmed. The white pinstriped one that Rhoads used more often live had the distortion. I strongly doubt any of his recordings had a JB used on them but yes, he did use them a little towards the end.

Comment

*edit. OKAY I found it. His SECOND Jackson prototype Concorde (black and gold with elongated upper horn and fixed tailpiece) had the JB in it, the first one (white pinstriped sharper V) had the Distortion. The JB was his final say and that's why the Jackon Rhoads signatures have them to this day.
                          Where did you hear that? You say you just found it but whats the source? The black one has always been said to have had a distortion i it.
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

maybe this could be used as a audio reference?

it's noteworthy however that he used the PDV when recording Crazy Train, but used the LP live.

What guitars did he use to play certain songs live?:
                            From info from people who saw Randy and studying pictures and video,
                            this is what we have.

Over ther Mountain - White Jackson (tuned to Eb)
                            I don't Know - Les Paul/Black Jackson
                            Crazy Train - Les Paul

Believer - White Jackson (tuned to Eb)
                            Flying High - White Jackson/Black Jackson (tuned to Eb)
                            Mr Crowley - Sandoval polka dot V

Revalation - Les Paul
                            Steal Away - Les Paul
                            Suicide Solution/Spotlight solo - Sandoval polka dot V

Iron Man - Les Paul
                            Children of the Grave - Les Paul
                            Paranoid - Les Paul

Goodbye To Romance - Les Paul
                            No Bone Movies - Les Paul
                            You Said it All - Les Paul

Comment

I recall the Distortion/'59 on the V Randy had but I wouldn't doubt a prototype/new model was in the works so it's possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X