Lil 59 bridge in neck slot....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lil 59 bridge in neck slot....

Is it do-able?? Difference is only 2K or so. 11.78 for bridge vs 9.86 for neck.
    Will it be too hot , muddy??
    Anyone tried this??

Thx.
    Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
    Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Re: Lil 59 bridge in neck slot....

The Seymour Duncan Everything Axe set uses a lil 59 in the neck (JB Jr bridge), so I will assume that it is suitable for the neck. I've only used it in the bridge.

I think you'll be fine in terms of the K rating. Playing with the pickup heights should get you to where you want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
      The Seymour Duncan Everything Axe set uses a lil 59 in the neck (JB Jr bridge), so I will assume that it is suitable for the neck. I've only used it in the bridge.

I think you'll be fine in terms of the K rating. Playing with the pickup heights should get you to where you want to be.
      The Lil '59 comes in a bridge version and a neck/middle version. The everything Axe set uses a Lil' 59 neck version in the neck position. This poster is asking about using a Lil '59 bridge version in the neck position.

To the OP, I'm not sure how it will sound. I have a Lil '59 neck version at the neck and love it. It can get muddy but I tweak the tone knob on the guitar and tweak the amp settings to adjust accordingly. I would think the bridge version would be brighter in the neck position than the neck version but maybe I'm wrong.
      Last edited by hareek; 08-08-2013, 09:24 AM.
      Originally posted by grumptruck
      I always think of man bulge
      "How 'bout are you willin' to make the commitment, wakin' up, goin' okay, it's gig time, what t-shirt am I gonna wear?"-Tenacious D

Comment

lol yes you are wrong.

the bridge version in the neck will be darker than the neck version

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this
          "Scalloped & Stickered"
          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Originally posted by hareek View Post
            Careful....the Lil '59 comes in a bridge version and a neck/middle version. The everything Axe set uses a Lil' 59 neck version in the neck position. This poster is asking about using a Lil '59 bridge version in the neck position.
            Ah, good point, thanks for the catch!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              the bridge version in the neck will be darker than the neck version
              I always thought bridge pickups are made to be brighter than neck pickups but I'm guessing where I'm wrong is neck pickups are made to be brighter to compensate for the naturally darker tones of that pickup position, and vice versa for the bridge position?

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
              Ah, good point, thanks for the catch!
              No problem. And I just want to point out I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you with that post. I just meant to clarify the question as I understood it. Not saying you took it the wrong way, but reading back through it myself it seems I was a little harsh in my response.
              Last edited by hareek; 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM.
              "How 'bout are you willin' to make the commitment, wakin' up, goin' okay, it's gig time, what t-shirt am I gonna wear?"-Tenacious D

Comment

Na, you were fine!

Comment

All I would say is to be sure use 500K pots, and it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
                    All I would say is to be sure use 500K pots, and it should be fine.
                    The Lil '59 is designed to work with 250k pots though. And again correct me if I'm wrong, a 500k pot wont make the sound any brighter as a tone knob turned to 10 produces the same sound whether it's a 500k or a 250k pot. It's the low end that changes as you dial the knob back to 1.
                    Last edited by hareek; 08-08-2013, 09:36 AM.

Comment

The Lil '59 is designed to work with 250k pots though.
                      This particular Little 59 is designed to go in the bridge position too though, so we're obviously prepared to think outside the box a little here.

Comment

This particular Little 59 is designed to go in the bridge position too though, so we're obviously prepared to think outside the box a little here.
                        True. But see my edited post above. Am I missing something?

Comment

Am I confusing the function of pots with the function of capacitors?

EDIT: Yes I am. my bad.
                          Last edited by hareek; 08-08-2013, 09:42 AM.

Comment

The Lil '59 is designed to work with 250k pots though. And again correct me if I'm wrong, a 500k pot wont make the sound any brighter as a tone knob turned to 10 produces the same sound whether it's a 500k or a 250k pot. It's the low end that changes as you dial the knob back to 1.
                            A 500K volume pot will obviously make the sound a bit brighter.

A 500K tone control will too: when the tone is turned to 10 then the full resistive strip in the pot is what's stopping the treble being bled out. So a 500K pot will stop more treble getting out than a 250K pot will. If this is difficult imagine replacing the pot with a resistor. Obviously putting a truly massive resistance in there will block more treble than say putting in a 0.5K resistor.

The exception to this is no-load tone pots which cut the connection completely when they're turned to 10.

Comment

So a 500K pot will stop more treble getting out than a 250K pot will. .

Isnt this backwards? A 250k will cut off more highs than a 500k will.
                              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                              X