Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for Some New P'ups... This Time for an Ibanez RG570

Hey guys,

Quick story: I just got back my very first guitar that I bought back in high school. My mom made the kind, yet naive mistake of "lending" my first guitar to one of her friend's sons while I away my freshman year of college back in 2002. I never got it back! Well, I ran into the spineless runt a couple weeks back. It wasn't until five minutes into the mind-numbingly painful conversation that I realized, "HEY! THIS BASTARD STILL HAS MY GUITAR!!!" I interrupted his "speech" with such vigor and aggression, like a jab to the throat, that he stuttered for the next 15-20 seconds. It seems like he totally forgot that it was my guitar that he took over a decade ago! Well, I still had fight through about two weeks of him dodging me that I just called his mother (a family friend), and asked her to get the guitar for me. That worthless kid managed to drop the guitar and chip off a chunk of the paint (deep enough to expose the basswood), lost the whammy bar, lost the Floyd Rose locking nut (how the hell do you do that?!?!), and even somehow lost one of the fine tuning bolts on the Floyd Rose itself. And get this... my mom made me promise not to charge his a$$ for the replacement parts. "He was just a boy when had the guitar. He didn't know any better." Yeah... ok... as if she would've let me get away with the weak BS when I was a kid. Anyhow, it's a 1991 Ibanez RG570 in Jewel Blue, MIJ. I had forgotten how nice she plays...

So back to business... unlike my other guitars, I'm looking for a real heavy sounding guitar that's capable of a decent amount of variety, including decent cleans (but the chunky, heavy distortion is what I'm looking for on this one). Perhaps a Marty Friedman like tone, even though I probably couldn't even play at 1 percent of his ability. The guy is a monster, with phenomenal tone. The body is made of basswood, and the neck is a one-piece maple w/ a rosewood fretboard . I've had my eye on 3 different possible combos (two of which aren't Duncans, though).

(1) Duncan - Alternative 8/Screamin' Demon
    (2) Dimarzio (Petrucci's) - Crunch Lab/Liquifire
    (3) Bareknuckle - Cold Sweat combo

Please lay upon me your wonderful wisdom, my friends.

Thanks,
    Niloy
    Some recordings from my college days a few years ago: http://www.soundcloud.com/mytochon
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." -Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Time for Some New P'ups... This Time for an Ibanez RG570

I have a crunch lab with a gravity storm neck in an RG750 and I really dig it. That guitar has actually been the test bed for a ton of pickups as i bought it brand new in 1993. My findings are I prefer pickups that have pushed highs and lows as the guitar naturally has a rounded middy tone. Another pickup that worked very well in it was Steves Special.

Never tried the Alt8 in it but I did have a JB8 in it and that didnt do it for me. The A8 has too many mids for an already mid heavy guitar for me. Its like this big wall of sound thats thick like peanut butter on the roof of your mouth. Its fun for a little bit but then gets annoying after a bit.

Wish I had more experience with the high output BKP's I have their Stockholm and the Riff Raff but havent gotten a chance to play their heavier pickups so I cant help much there.

Thats my 2cents take it fwiw
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I can only tell about Alt8/SD from my experience with related guitars: Alt8 in my 24 fretter (string thru basswood body, bolt on maple/rosewood neck) is darker than in my alder LP (alder body, maple/rosewood set neck); and brighter than in my mahogany LP (mahogany body/maple top, mahogany/rosewood set neck). It's all round rock/metal pickup. The mids are there but actually it's a balance pickup. It's crispy (more prominent in alder LP/less prominent in mahogany LP). For lead work it's not as thin as most bridge pickup can be. If you're used to play ceramic pickup, you'll find the low of Alt8 is less tight for chugga-chugga. And yes it has decent clean for a high gain pickup, but why? SD in the neck and the blend sound of them do it better. SD is Duncan hb that I've found great as neck pickup for 24 fretter too: still fat and smooth. It can do decent rhythm. Both pickups are fluid and clear. To me, it's like 'refined' JB/'59 combo with more modern flavour if that makes any sense.

I don't have any experience with those Dimarzio and BKP. So just two hbs and 3-way switch with dummy single coil in the middle?

Comment

Originally posted by Niloy63 View Post
        Perhaps a Marty Friedman like tone, even though I probably couldn't even play at 1 percent of his ability. The guy is a monster, with phenomenal tone.
        Hey Niloy, let me sell you my recipe for a very good Marty Friedman tone: a decent Jackson with an ebony fretboard, loaded with a JBJ, plugged it into a Rocktron Piranha. The tone is scary close, yet made me aware how very different my fingers work compared to Marty's. I wanted to borrow his hands, but I think he'd refuse.

Comment

Custom in the bridge is devistating in my RG wit the same setup as yours. Absolutely rips heads off in a good way. Pearly Gates Neck is cool in the neck too, although I'm thinking of switching to the Full Shred Neck now.
          http://www.lonephantom.com
          http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response. I appreciate the feedback guys!

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
            I can only tell about Alt8/SD from my experience with related guitars: Alt8 in my 24 fretter (string thru basswood body, bolt on maple/rosewood neck) is darker than in my alder LP (alder body, maple/rosewood set neck); and brighter than in my mahogany LP (mahogany body/maple top, mahogany/rosewood set neck). It's all round rock/metal pickup. The mids are there but actually it's a balance pickup. It's crispy (more prominent in alder LP/less prominent in mahogany LP). For lead work it's not as thin as most bridge pickup can be. If you're used to play ceramic pickup, you'll find the low of Alt8 is less tight for chugga-chugga. And yes it has decent clean for a high gain pickup, but why? SD in the neck and the blend sound of them do it better. SD is Duncan hb that I've found great as neck pickup for 24 fretter too: still fat and smooth. It can do decent rhythm. Both pickups are fluid and clear. To me, it's like 'refined' JB/'59 combo with more modern flavour if that makes any sense.
            This is the perfect review of the Alt8/SD combo I was looking for, and in a similarly built guitar. Thank you! Perhaps getting the Duncan Distortion rather than the Alt8 may tighten up the lower register a bit. Does the Distortion/SD make a decent combo? I don't know though. But shouldn't a tube screamer be able to compensate for the slightly looser low end in the Alt8?

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
            I have a crunch lab with a gravity storm neck in an RG750 and I really dig it. Never tried the Alt8 in it but I did have a JB8 in it and that didnt do it for me. The A8 has too many mids for an already mid heavy guitar for me. Its like this big wall of sound thats thick like peanut butter on the roof of your mouth. Its fun for a little bit but then gets annoying after a bit.
            I'm glad to hear the Crunch Lab in a positive light. It gives me an inkling of hope. I'm so attached to Duncan that I'm not confident enough to venture off into Dimarzio or BKP. And besides, BKP are too damn expensive! As for the JB8 experience you had... I've never tried a JB8, but I figure it would be rather similar to an Alt8. So that sets me back a bit in my decision. That's a fair point about the mids in a basswood guitar. There are too many parameters to look it, damn it! lol It gets tough keeping up with everything.

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
            Hey Niloy, let me sell you my recipe for a very good Marty Friedman tone: a decent Jackson with an ebony fretboard, loaded with a JBJ, plugged it into a Rocktron Piranha. The tone is scary close, yet made me aware how very different my fingers work compared to Marty's. I wanted to borrow his hands, but I think he'd refuse.
            No kidding... if there's one word I could describe the way he plays, it would be "fluid." Even though the way he holds his pick is anything but graceful, or comfortable. The guy bleeds talent! That's an interesting approach to his tone. But how did you get to that recipe? Just dumb luck, or was there a goal in mind?

Originally posted by LonePhantom View Post
            Custom in the bridge is devistating in my RG wit the same setup as yours. Absolutely rips heads off in a good way. Pearly Gates Neck is cool in the neck too, although I'm thinking of switching to the Full Shred Neck now.
            I like your suggestion, my friend! I have a Custom/PGn combo in my Les Paul, and I love it! That is the only reason I'm slightly hesitant to try and duplicate the combo again. I know they'd sound totally different in an RG than they would in a Les Paul. I figured I'd try something that I normally wouldn't try. Seriously thinking about the Alt8/Screamin Demon combo. Perhaps the Crunch Lab/Liquifire, but to be frank, I'm pretty sure I won't go down the Dimarzio route. Contemptlating it, but Duncan wins me over everytime. And I've heard nothing but brilliant praise about the Bareknuckle P'ups. Now if they weren't worth more than my 4th and 5th intervertebral Lumbar discs, I would gladly give them a try. Does "Made in Europe" automatically mean "become broke" in the economic language?
            Some recordings from my college days a few years ago: http://www.soundcloud.com/mytochon
            "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." -Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

But shouldn't a tube screamer be able to compensate for the slightly looser low end in the Alt8?
              Ah, I should mention that my review based on playing without pedal. So just the guitars, the pickups and the amp in neutral setting. I wanted to know how they react then work from there. Yes, you can make compensation for your taste. Alt8 is a cool pickup to begin with. Distortion/SD? That would be Lynch ultimate combo.

Comment

Good to know. I figure it's a good idea to always throw in a little overdrive to the natural hi gain to tighten up those "chugs." Sounds awesome man... I think I may settle on the Alt/SD combo. I have to contemplate now. lol Thanks for your input, elelpe!

Comment

if going duncan, look into the PATB series, they are AMAZING in any wood and really shine with floyded guitars. for dimarzio, I really like petruccis setup, or even a set of breeds. but really look into the PATB's, they're fantastic pickups
                  Last edited by Herschel Riffs; 08-18-2013, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I had a tone zone in the bridge of my Heartfield Talon (same specs and factory as an RG) and it worked pretty well for me. I've also had a SD in the bridge and liked it. When I get home it looks like I will be throwing an SD8 in the bridge with a stock SD in the neck of my 1570.

Comment

Duncans: I like the Alt8 a lot. it's built with the alnico 8 IN MIND, so it's doesn't have all the heavy saturation that you get when you put an alnico 8 in a pup that's designed for another magnet. it's not as heavy as some suggest, as I actually find it to be a little brighter and it's on the higher-output side of things. there's a video floating around here somewhere of the cat in the hat, giving it a good workout that really shows the versatility of the pup. Can't speak to the Demon in the neck. I think the FSn would be a nice match.

DiMarzios: I also have tried the LiquiFire in the neck and I was blown away. The only other DiMarzio neck models I can compare it to are the HFH and the Axis neck. I think there are characteristics of it that help it sort of fall right in between the two. it's got some drive, but it's smooth and it cleans up really really well. it's very articulate but can have some nice bite when you really dig in to it. it's a neck pup that is very well suited to lead playing. Haven't tried the CL bridge...I wanted to until I tried the AT-1 in the bridge and I stopped looking. The AT-1 is really overlooked and sort of not represented in Timmons' playing, as he does so much with the middle and neck pups.

Comment

Not the Screamin' Demon. It's not compressed enough for what you want unless you want to depend on a OD pedal.
                        I've got one and even with humongous amounts of gain it wants to be defined and clear and not a thumpy, brutal riff monster.

It's an amazing pickup but not what you want I think.

EDIT: Oh, you want the Demon on the neck. Forget I said anything.
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

But how did you get to that recipe? Just dumb luck, or was there a goal in mind?
                          The only thing that I owe to dumb luck in this case, was the timing. It just happened that the guitar, the pickup and the preamp were at my place all at the same time. All I had to do was plug in and tweak a couple of knobs, then the tone just hit me. I (r)aped the opening bit of the Tornado solo and had to bust a laugh saying: "Ha! Sounds like Marty Friedman... on a really bad hangover".
                          I had listened to Rust In Peace too many times to not notice how the combination sang in Marty's guitar voice. It was cool for a while but now I am no more into apeing or idolizing anyone. These days, I'd rather sound like myself than any one of those miraculously talented artists I used to deify. Don't get me wrong, imitation is a great way to exercise phrasing, articulation, tone tweaking and musical hearing all at the same time but it just shouldn't be overdone.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably try the Duncan Custom first, as LonePhantom suggested. Just FYI, my personal favourite pickup for a typical RG like yours, is a Merlin Sabotage. It's a polish-made 15kohm open-coil ceramic magnet humbucker. It's bright and modern but nothing over the top; it's hot but does not sound overwound or chewy, just very clear and in your face. Lots of upper-mid grind, crisp treble over a tight, subdued, unobtrusive low end. Somewhat like a Splawn Quickrod.

If you're after something fatter, there was Larry D's Super3 + Paf Pro set in the Trading Post.

Comment

Hey guys,

Sorry to pull up this old thread, but I figured it would be better than starting a new thread. The time is finally close to swapping out the p'ups. Just got an Alternative 8 in standard spacing (SH-15). I know I should've gotten a TB-15 instead, but I couldn't pass up on a used SH-15 at a great price. I've read quite a few posts saying it shouldn't be a problem at all. I hope this is the case. Anyhow, I'm on the lookout for a used Screamin' Demon (SH-12) for the neck. Once I get one, I'll install the p'ups. I'll worry about the middle pickup later... probably gonna get a Classic Stack Plus (STK-S4).

My question: should I look into getting new pots for the guitar when I install the Alternative 8 (bridge) and the Screamin' Demon (neck)? To be honest, I have no idea what pots come stock in the RG570. Any help/insight would be much appreciated!
                            Last edited by Niloy63; 11-21-2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

(1) Duncan - Alternative 8/Screamin' Demon
                              (2) Dimarzio (Petrucci's) - Crunch Lab/Liquifire
                              (3) Bareknuckle - Cold Sweat combo

I would recomment the Screamin' Demon (SH-12) in the Bridge and the JP Liquifire in the Neck. IMO, the Crunchlab did not handle clean tones very well. The SH-12 and Liquifire are amazing clean and both handle gain like a boss.

Comment

Working...
                              X