• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery humbucker magnet

its either an A5, or an A8
    is there any way i can determine which?
    good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Re: Mystery humbucker magnet

Without some sort of markings no not really. Visually they are identical.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Well the A8 is noticeably stronger than the A5 - when I swapped an A8 in a 59/custom I think it was I was surprised by how strong the pull was just having it near things like screws and other ferrous objects. You should definitely be able to tell because of that alone.
      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
      I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Every A8 I've ever owned has been pretty dark coloured, sorta like a ceramic magnet, dark dark grey, almost black.

every A5 I've had, with the exception of UOA5 has been bright silver.

Also, an A8 has significantly more pull than an A5.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
          Well the A8 is noticeably stronger than the A5 - when I swapped an A8 in a 59/custom I think it was I was surprised by how strong the pull was just having it near things like screws and other ferrous objects. You should definitely be able to tell because of that alone.
          An interesting thing to note is that A5 actually has higher gauss than a A8 does. Though an A8 has a higher field intensity. So in short the field is less dense but there is more of it. Without having a mag to compare it too its still going to be a guess though.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

You could buy an A5 or A8 and swap it. If it sounds the same, then it's whatever magnet you swapped it with, and if they sound different then they are different mags.

Comment

see, i ordered an A8 from addiction fx to replace an A5
              i cant remember if i replaced it or not
              i've had the pickup and the magnet sitting in my drawer for quite some time, and i'm just now getting around to wiring it in
              something makes me think i did switch them out
              the magnet that's sitting in the little zip-lock bag does have wax on it.
              so that makes me think that it already was in the pickup
              unless Add-fx ships pre-waxed magnets
              the one in the bag is also really dark though

maybe i'll remove the one in the pickup and try to determine which is which
              good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Comparing them side by side would probably be your best bet. Though for what its worth ive never had one from A/fx that came with wax on it but its not impossible.

Though I must ask you cant tell from the tone alone if its been swapped?

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                  Comparing them side by side would probably be your best bet. Though for what its worth ive never had one from A/fx that came with wax on it but its not impossible.

Though I must ask you cant tell from the tone alone if its been swapped?
                  you'd think so, right? hahahaha
                  no, its a P-rail pickup and it was suggested that the bridge pickup be installed with the rail towards the bridge, and an A8 swapped for the stock A5, and i have never had the pickup installed
                  but i think i can figure this one out

however, i'm not sure if i can figure out the following:

is there a reason why the tone pot isnt grounded, and why there's no bridge ground?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2h_2ts_2v_1t_phsp.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	5771675
                  good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Working...
                  X