Explorer pickups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer pickups.

Looking to replace the crappy stock set in my Epi explorer. Let's go over my ideas.

DD set- I love the DD, but I've never tried the DDn, and I've always wanted to.

EMG 81, 60- Fairly self explanatory. I have never owned a guitar with these though.

EMG 85, 60a- Similar to the 81 and 60 I guess, but different. Curious on how the 85 sounds in the bridge.

Blackouts- EMGs but better? AHB-1 or AHB-2 in the bridge, not sure. Really wanna see how the neck sounds compared to an 85 and 60.

Blackouts Preamp- I'd probably pair this with a 59/C hybrid and a 59/J hybrid. If anybody prefers another set with this, let me know.

Alternative 8, Air Norton- Two pups I've always wanted to try. But I'm worried they'd be too dark in the explorer.

Black Winters- I dismissed these when they were announced because I don't play any death metal or anything, but the buzz on the forum has me wondering.

That's what I've considered, if you have any other suggestions feel free to throw 'em at me. I know they would all probably sound great, and it's all very objective, but whatever. Playing the usual Metallica, Alice in Chains, Sabbath stuff. I'm open to mag swapping as well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Much appreciated.
    DD set
    52.63%
    EMG 81, 60
    0%
    EMG 85, 60a
    5.26%
    Blackouts
    5.26%
    Blackouts Preamp
    0%
    Alternative 8, Air Norton
    0%
    Black Winters
    5.26%
    Anything else
    31.58%
    Last edited by EET_FUK; 08-08-2013, 09:52 PM.

Re: Explorer pickups.

In the bridge of my Explorer, I have tried: Custom8, CustomUA05, 500T, 496R, 496RUA05, & 59. My favorite was the Custom8. A 59 sounds nice in the neck.

I had an ESP EX (very similar specs to an Explorer) that had an 81/60 set and they sounded great in that guitar.

Comment

Of your list the only one ive tried in my explorer is the alternative 8. I thought it sounded awesome but didn't work in the mix of my band. I've had some issues with that. I've also found the explorers a bit hard to nail down the right pup. Right now I have a jb with an a9 mag and that seems to be working very well for me. The alt 8 is a great pickup, I felt it needed a slightly darker guitar than the explorer which tends to be a bit bright, at least in my experience.

Comment

i had a gothic with 500t in it. super hot and sounded killer for metal and rock

Comment

Originally posted by loversmoon View Post
          +1. If I was playing metal, I'd probably go with the 500T/496R set too. I definitely would avoid any active PU's.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I would go for some variant of the Custom, and a 59 in the neck.

Comment

Just bear in mind that Explorers tend to be more woofy than other guitars due to the body shape. So pickup height makes a big difference, no matter what you decide to buy.

As far as the Black Winter pups go, I like them so far, and again pickup height makes a big difference. But I'm on the fence as to whether I'll keep them in the Explorer. I may keep them in there, might put the stock 500T/498R set back in, or I might yank the Screamin' Demon and Pearly Gates out of my Les Paul (the Demon has a very tight bottom end, so may be just what Tue Explore needs). I'll keep ya posted.
              Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

You should try the EMG het set in the explorer. Those pickups are sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                  +1. If I was playing metal, I'd probably go with the 500T/496R set too. I definitely would avoid any active PU's.
                  I think 500T/496R set really nails hard rock and metal. It's actually more versatile than that (especially the 496R), but I think its strengths are in the hard rocking quadrant.

I believe the Gibby Explorers come with it also.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
                    I think 500T/496R set really nails hard rock and metal...I believe the Gibby Explorers come with it also.
                    Right, Gibson usually puts the 500T/496R set in their Explorers and V's.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
                      I think 500T/496R set really nails hard rock and metal. It's actually more versatile than that (especially the 496R), but I think its strengths are in the hard rocking quadrant.

I believe the Gibby Explorers come with it also.
                      Correct. I actually left the 496r in the neck. I found the 500t to be super hot and fully capable of melting faces. But it was also a bit sterile. I ended up putting it in a dot studio and it totally came to life.

Comment

I have that, it is still, some eight guitars later, my main axe. Killer stock pups, however if Metal is not your main game, you might want to consider something tamer.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero12 View Post
                          Correct. I actually left the 496r in the neck. I found the 500t to be super hot and fully capable of melting faces. But it was also a bit sterile. I ended up putting it in a dot studio and it totally came to life.
                          Sterile is the exact word that came to my mind as well. They sounded alright in my Explorer, but just weren't lively at all, which is why I'm trying out a Black Winter set in it.

But that's good to know about how they sound in your Dot, since I'm considering giving them a try on my Les Paul.
                          Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 08-10-2013, 08:07 AM.
                          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

They would probably do well in a lp. I didn't try it in mine, but I can see it doing well. May have to be lowered some. Let me know how it goes.

Comment

I had the 81/85 combo in a dean w a Floyd. Low end of the 81 was too tight for my taste. Put the 85 in the bridge and its just the right amount of spongy.
                              nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

Working...
                              X