HSS Wiring config

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS Wiring config

I have a guitar I built from parts with an HSS configuration. I have a JB humbucker in the bridge, a Hot Stack in the middle and a Classic Stack in the neck.

I just replaced the master volume pot with a push pull pot for coil splitting the JB. That sounds great.

I don't what is contributing to the problem but the Hot Stack and the Classic Stack sound very full and rich and are very much lacking in the the thin, bell-like strat quality I was looking for.

I was thinking it might be because the pickups are mounted to the wood of the body rather than a plastic pickguard. Maybe the Seymour Duncans are just too good.

Maybe I need to put a hi-pass filter (resister/capicitor) on the stack PUPs.

ANy ideas you have would be appreciated.

I do know the members of the SD forum are the most knowledgeable people on the planet when it comes to pickups.
    ==========
    I tune because I care.

Re: HSS Wiring config

What guitar is this in? Keep in mind stacks by their nature do lose some of the crystal bell like qualities that a normal strat single coil has. Its kind of the trade off for no noise. Its actually for this reason that I dont use stacks anymore my guitars either have real single coils or full on mini-hums.

Not sure if a hi pass resistor would help, I havent ever messed with them maybe someone with experience with them will chime in and have a better solution for you.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Well the middle pickup in particular is super hot and will have very little treble.

The mounting to the wood will make no difference on the scale you're talking about.

My recommendation would be to get a couple of STK-S4s (if you don't want noise) or SSL-1s (if you don't mind noise) and put them in those two positions.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
        My recommendation would be to get a couple of STK-S4s . . .
        Ditto. And a high-pass filter will simply block low end. It won't add any highs that weren't there to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
          What guitar is this in? Keep in mind stacks by their nature do lose some of the crystal bell like qualities that a normal strat single coil has. Its kind of the trade off for no noise. Its actually for this reason that I dont use stacks anymore my guitars either have real single coils or full on mini-hums.

Not sure if a hi pass resistor would help, I havent ever messed with them maybe someone with experience with them will chime in and have a better solution for you.

This is in a guitar I made from parts. It a strat shape but with an arched top and no pickguard.

I just grabbed a couple of do it yourself pickup kits from StewMac. I think I'll put a couple single coils on the list and try my hand at some "roll your owns". I'l wind one of them RW/RP to make it hum cancelling when run together. I'll also make the middle pickup RW/RP in regards to the split JB. If that doesn't work I'll definitely go woth the SSL-1s.

Thanks for the tip on the stacks. I had a friend that had a strat and he put in some stacks (different brand) and they seemed to have that nice start, bell like sound with lots of chime.

By the way, the Hot Stack doesn't seem to me to be all that Hot. It's nothing comparedx to the JB that is in it.

==========
          I tune because I care.

Comment

Working...
          X