Pearly Gates in a Explorer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates in a Explorer?

I am sure I know the answer but asking anyway.

Would a set of Pearly Gates sound good in an Explorer?

I play mostly classic rock, blues etc.
    "...Strange brew -- kill what's inside of you..."

Re: Pearly Gates in a Explorer?

Sure, why not?

I've used a Pearly Gates neck in just about all my guitars for years including Les Pauls, SGs, Explorers, Inbanez and Fenders.

Enjoy.
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
      Sure, why not?

I've used a Pearly Gates neck in just about all my guitars for years including Les Pauls, SGs, Explorers, Inbanez and Fenders.

Enjoy.
      Some pickups seem to work better in a les paul than a start or sg etc.
      "...Strange brew -- kill what's inside of you..."

Comment

Originally posted by aaronl View Post
        Some pickups seem to work better in a les paul than a start or sg etc.
        I can vouch for the PGn in the body of a les paul. Which is very near an explorer except for the maple cap.

Are you asking: (1) would the Pearly Gates sound good in an explorer, or (2) are the Pearly Gates the best pickup for an explorer?

The answers will be different for each one.

(1) Yes, the PGn sounds good in anything and if you like the PGb you'll like it in just about anything. If you don't like the PGb, you probably won't like it in the Explorer.
        (2) The best low-output PAFs for an explorer would be if you called the SD custom shop and described to them the tone you're looking for.

I feel like a PGn/Custom set in an explorer would be great for everything from vintage rock to balls-to-the-wall metal though. Just my .02
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
          (1) the PGn sounds good in anything.
          (2) The best low-output PAFs for an explorer would be if you called the SD custom shop and described to them the tone you're looking for.
          1) PGN's may sound 'good' in anything, but not necessarily great; I think they're too warm in LP's. Not enough high-end for my tastes, too smooth. To my ears, it's not the incredible thing some players claim it is to be.
          2) It's hard to beat Seth's when you want a great PAF, no need to go to the custom shop.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            1) PGN's may sound 'good' in anything, but not necessarily great; I think they're too warm in LP's. Not enough high-end for my tastes, too smooth. To my ears, it's not the incredible thing some players claim it is to be.
            2) It's hard to beat Seth's when you want a great PAF, no need to go to the custom shop.
            Can the Pearly Gates neck sound good in a strat?

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
              So I have read here, but I don't have any Fenders so I have no first hand experience with that. What's too dark/bassy in mahogany is often much better in ash.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I have a Pearly Gates in the neck of my Strat it sounds amazing. It is one of my best sounding guitars.

Comment

I once played an American strat with a PG Neck in the bridge position..... Holy hell was I blown away! I've been trying to replicate that strat ever since.
                  There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

I would think the PGs would sound great in a good Explorer. They are a good rude PAFish pickup. The PGb is one of my top three PAF style pickups. I use it and the 59 and the Slash set for all my PAF needs. Just depends on the natural character of the guitar that they are going in. Happy tone hunting!
                    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

PG's in an Explorer would make start immediately playing Skynyrd.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I swapped a Screamin' Demon in the bridge and a Pearly Gates into my Explorer yesterday. So I can't speak to how a PG would sound in the bridge, but it sounds great in the neck. It's nice and bluesy, like it should be. Although there are alot more lows with it in the Explorer than there were with it in the Les Paul, but Explorers are woofy to begin with.
                        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Working...
                        X