Scratchy sound coming from installed sh-5 custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratchy sound coming from installed sh-5 custom

Hi there, would really love some advice if anyone can give some.

MY INSTALLED SH-5 SOUNDS VERY VERY VERY SCRATCHY AND TREBLY... the output also seem VERY low

I installed the sh-5 custom into my blacktop series strat in the bridge postion (leaving the original neck alnico).
    It is set up like so... (2 humbucker, 1 volume, 2 tone, 5 way switch).
    I could not find this specific diagram on the duncan sight. So i simply replaces the wired of the two bridge pickups exactly (the were the same colour).
    Bare & Black to back of pot.....Green & Red & White to different section of the 5 way.
    I can post PICTURES if that would give more detail.
    The coil splitting actually works fine, but the sound is rubbish...
    ANYONE KNOW WHAT I'M DOING WRONG???

Re: Scratchy sound coming from installed sh-5 custom

You've probably wired it out of phase. Fender and Duncan pups have differently colour coded wire.

It should be like so: green and bare to ground, red/white north coil split, black hot.

Also, the polarity and wind is likely to be different between the Fender and Duncan when you've got it running, which will make the mix positions out of phase. To change this, you can flip the mag or swap the hot/ground wires in either pup.
    Originally posted by dominus
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
    X