mini toggle/mini humbucker help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mini toggle/mini humbucker help

I have owned a Tele with a SD mini in the neck and a Fender single coil in the bridge since the mid 90s without trouble. It has a mini toggle switch (that I never really used) that my kids bashed-in somehow. Can't seem to get a straight story out of them about how that happened.

I bought a replacement thinking it was the same switch, but my original was an on/on and the new one (that I just got done soldering in) is an on/off/on. Now the only sound it makes is like an unplugged cord.

I assumed the purpose for the switch was for a coil-tap option; only I never liked the original setup with the mini on/on toggle and only ever used it in the 12 o'clock position. Do I have more options with the on/off/on, or do I just need to rewire/re-solder?

Is there a schematic for my setup?

And if anyone has curiosity about the tone of the miniHB in a Tele...it's just awesome.

Re: mini toggle/mini humbucker help

If you don't like it anyway, re-wire without it, go to the hardware store and buy a hole plug for the hole, you can get them in black or chrome for about $.25. I use them to plug up volume pot holes in strat guards since I don't use that hole and move the volume to the 1st tone pot position.

Much easier and cheaper than buying a switch you'll never use anyway.

Comment

Already bought and installed the switch...I am of Scots descent, so that $10 is going to get used. I stupidly did not notice the little black wire dangling unconnected from my input jack. Solves the "sounds like an unplugged cord" mystery. Now I just have to figure out where the black wire goes.

In theory, I like the sound of a single coil in the neck. Maybe the original setup was flawed and I could do better with a rewire. That is what I am thinking.

Comment

I think it may be a phase switch...not a coil tap. The schematics I have seen don't match up to that, but it explains why I never liked the sound.

Comment

Working...
        X