X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 way switch coil split query

Hello everyone,
    Long time lurker first time poster

Ive read probably well over 100 similar posts here but none that are what im looking to do,
    ok here goes, ...

Im awaiting my order of SD Hot Rails to place in the bridge of my beloved strat and hoping to modify with an added 3 way Switch so that i can have the following options :
    position 1 - North coil
    Position 2 - Full Humbucker
    Position 3 - South coil

I have done some serious extensive searching and the closest i could find was the Series/Split/Parallel option,

ok so here is my dull question after all that explaining, ..
    I know i need a 3 way DPDT switch, but, does it need to be an ON-ON-ON or an ON-OFF-ON switch ?

I hope that made sense, thanks for listening

Re: 3 way switch coil split query

Seems i literally just stumbled across my answer by pure chance, ..
    so, just in case anyone else is having a similar issue in the future here are my findings, ...

For this configuration I would need an ON-OFF-ON switch :
    position 1 (ON) - North coil
    Position 2 (OFF) - Full Humbucker
    Position 3 (ON) - South coil

And for this I would need an ON-ON-ON switch :
    position 1 (ON) - Series
    Position 2 (ON) - Split
    Position 3 (ON) - Parallel

If i am wrong please someone jump in and tell me im an idiot

Comment

You are correct sir. Let us know if you need the actual diagram. I've got one floating around here somewhere.

And welcome to the forum.

Comment

Hi ArtieToo, and thanks for the welcome,

Thanks also for confirming for me,
        I would love to see the actual diagram that would probably save a headache.

One other question is lingering in my mind, would i need 3 way switch with 3 or 6 connection poles or can i do the same with either ?

Thanks again

Comment

Ive had a look around and a bit of a play ... could anyone tell me if the following diagram would be correct for the required configuration mentioned in first post :
          Click image for larger version

Name:	SD Wiring SC-S-SC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	5771694

Comment

No. The series link needs to be connected and then alternately shorted to either hot or ground. You only need one side of the switch - red+white to the middle lug, hot and ground to either end.

Comment

Originally posted by ParameterMan View Post
              No. The series link needs to be connected and then alternately shorted to either hot or ground. You only need one side of the switch - red+white to the middle lug, hot and ground to either end.
              Hi ParameterMan,
              Thanks for clearing that up for me,
              I was unsure with it having 6 lugs as ive seen plenty of similar diagrams with only the 3 lugs.

My pup should be with me tomorrow so ill let you know how i get on with it

Thanks again

Comment

Just my 2 cents. Go for the Series, Split, Parallel 3 way switch. More tonal options, then switching between north coil, south coil and full humbucking.
                sigpic
                Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                JFG Flying V,
                "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
                  Just my 2 cents. Go for the Series, Split, Parallel 3 way switch. More tonal options, then switching between north coil, south coil and full humbucking.
                  Thanks for the comment, its funny you should say that as i was kind of in between which would be best,
                  I will probably try them both and see which i prefer

Comment

SD pup and Switch came in the post this morning, took about 40 mins to drill a hole and install the switch and exchange pup with new,
                    Tried both ways and yes i prefered the 2nd option better

Thanks for your help and opinions guys, my beloved strat is now even more amazing, in fact im staggered how good the new tone/s are

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                    X