some suggestions needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some suggestions needed.

Ok. so im in the process of reinventing my partscaster. (alder body, birdseye maple neck Dimarzio Breed in the bridge ) Not shocking its amazingly bright and in your face. Something im not quiet used to. Im looking for pickup suggestions that may tame down the brightness. I am currently running it as a one bucker guitar with no tone control.
    Last edited by loversmoon; 08-12-2013, 06:34 PM.

Re: some suggestions needed.

Adding a tone control will tame the brightness in it a little bit even when the tone all the way up, plus you can flex your sound more. If you get a stacked pot, you can control volume and tone without routing at all too. What pickup do you already have in it so we can gauge how to choose a warmer pickup? Also do you want it relatively powerful, vintage, or somewhere in between. Off the top of my head the Custom Custom is usually a big hit in one pickup guitars.

Comment

^^ What he said, all of it...
      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Dimarzio Tone Zone.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I am after a slightly warmer, darker tone. I realize a lot of the difference comes from the woods of these two guitars. the strat's alder and maple so its naturally gonna be brighter. The Dimarzio Breed is plenty powerful so I don't necessarily need more output. Id like one that can cover classic rock to modern country. As it sits I think the strat with the Dimarzio would cover hair metal gloriously. (as I dont mind that at all) Id still like to have it slightly warmer. I have considered adding a tone pot for the simple fact that it does cut some of the highs off it. Im running it through a randall rx75dg2 solid state amp. Ive been considering a custom custom or a Jb. I havent yet found a dimarzio...other than the Mo joe.... that I really love. that being said.. maybe I should try one in this strat. I had one in my mahogany strat and it was amazing. once again we come down to different types of wood.
          Last edited by loversmoon; 08-12-2013, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Custom Custom
            2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
            2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
            2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

The breed is already a pretty warm pickup. The only thing warmer that Dimarzio offers in terms of 6 string humbuckers might be the Tone Zone, but it is a little louder. Works wonders in 1 pickup guitars as well. I suppose you could also try the duncan invader if you wanted, but it's not as versatile as you're expecting i think. So my vote is still the custom custom.

Comment

thats several for the custom custom. ill have to do some research. thanks for the input guys...keep em comin.

Comment

If you're using a 500K volume maybe switch to a 250K one.
                  http://www.lonephantom.com
                  http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

you know lone phantom I had not considered this.!! thank you. I wonder tho will that make it sound muddy at high gain ? I play some old school metal as well and I dont wish to loose any clarity. I like a nice tight bottom end. And yes reading that sounds very perv. wonder about going middle ground with a 300k pot?
                    Last edited by loversmoon; 08-13-2013, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X