banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan Custom for Epiphone 335 Dot Studio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Custom for Epiphone 335 Dot Studio?

Hi, I'm a first time poster, long time lurker.

As the title suggests, I've got an old Duncan Custom 4 wire pickup marked DCJ on the back, and I'm wondering if it would be a good match with my Dot Studio.
    This particular Epiphone is all mahogany. It plays well, but sounds very dark and muddy. I remember this pickup sounding bright in a home made guitar made with red Meranti from a hardware store. I was young.

I was also thinking of putting an SD jazz pu in the neck.

My amps are old school Mesa Boogie, an EL 84 .50 caliber with no eq, a Quad preamp running through a 50/50 and metal grill half back cabs.

I'm looking for that Alex Lifeson sound from Permanent waves, and maybe a little Rockabilly with some coil tapping.

What do you think?

Re: Duncan Custom for Epiphone 335 Dot Studio?

59's are usually a good match for a custom - just remember tho that you need to get the 4 conductor version if you want it to coil split like you can with the custom.
    Customs and 59's also sound good with pretty much any magnet you care to throw in them, so once you have installed the pups, you can get a whole different range of tones with a bit of magnet experimentation. It (magnet swapping) is really easy and you can do it in a few minutes.
    while you are intalling the pups tho....replace the pots, caps, switch and jack too. You really dont want to have to re-wire that stuff too often. It can be a PITA to do pickup swaps and wiring mods on a 335, so check some you toob vids before you start.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

A duncan custom marked DCJ, you got a prized catch there. It is a Custom Wound by MJ most probably. I would go with all that Gibson175 said. The JAZZ too is a great match.
      sigpic
      Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
      JFG Flying V,
      "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
      John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I have a custom 8, and an a2 pro in a dot studio. It's a great combo, the regular custom would have a little more sizzle.

The jazz and the a2 pro are very similar, just an a2 verses a5 mags mostly. I tried the jazz in it initially but went with the a2 pro for the midrange push and great cleans.

I would have considered 59 or a pearly gates if I wanted something a little more rude or cutting.

The studio dot versions are easy to wire up since the pickups go straight to the switch rather than the pots.

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
          I have a custom 8, and an a2 pro in a dot studio. It's a great combo.
          +1. I have a C8/'59N in a Sheraton, which is excellent.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. I've looked into the procedure for replacing the wiring, and I'm not scared. If they fit, I would go with the Dimarzio pots, because they are CTS.

Comment

nah...go for the best and get bourns pots in 500k you wont be sorry.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Custom seems a bit excessive to me, but I'm not a 335 guy and there is a volume pot.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                X