banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

humbuckers with 500k pots...shut the front door..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humbuckers with 500k pots...shut the front door..

wow. i just got my newly modified axe back yesterday with 500k pots. it really opens things up nicely.

i'm impressed.

discuss.

Re: humbuckers with 500k pots...shut the front door..

I never bother with any other types. if it sounds bad with 500k then its gotta go IMO

Comment

I use 500Ks with DDs in my Les Paul. I can't help wondering how 300s would sound since I usually have my tone backed off a bit anyway. Hmm...
      Originally posted by Rockstar216
      Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
        I use 500Ks with DDs in my Les Paul. I can't help wondering how 300s would sound since I usually have my tone backed off a bit anyway. Hmm...
        i figure it's better to have too much and dial it back than to have to little to begin with.

Comment

500ks with buckers, 250k with single coils and JBs.

simple, and always sounds great.

Comment

500k for humbuckers is a good rule of thumb. However if it sounds nasal, too edgy, too thin, or has icepick highs, a 250k volume pot will make it sound right. The JB and a couple of other humbuckers seem to sound right with a 250k ohm pot. That makes them great for combining with single coils.
            "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
            Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
            guitar pic site
            Original prog rock on soundcloud
            Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
            Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

I'm starting to like 250K pots more and more in general with Duncans. For DiMarzios I'd imagine that you need 500K pots, but for quite a few Duncans I am starting to really like 250K. Kind of knocks off some presence that I don't care so much for during rhythm. For leads I can always boost the high end.

And I'm starting to think Linear 250K pots are the best for tone controls.

Comment

I have 1M pots on my Iceman with Dimebuckers. Sounds sick.

Comment

500K is the rule of the thumb. I have used JB with both 250k and 500k. I like them both. Currently I am using it with 500k. I role back the Volume and tone a bit always. Fro there if I want to add more I can always add.
                  sigpic
                  Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                  JFG Flying V,
                  "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                  John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I usually use 500K pots for humbuckers except if they are over 13K I use 1 meg pots because they tend to be dark enough.

Comment

I have 500k all around with the JB in my LP. Only two pickups I like a lower value (300K) were the DD and Custom. Then again, I prefer these values for just about EVERY ceramic magnet pickup I have tried.

LP Custom
                      Greenbacks
                      Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
                        I liked it. Seemed to trim some of that 'ceramic edge' off without losing that sexy Duncan Distortion aggression.

LP Custom
                        Greenbacks
                        Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
                          I liked it. Seemed to trim some of that 'ceramic edge' off without losing that sexy Duncan Distortion aggression.
                          That's what I'd be aiming for. I haven't had much trouble EQ-ing most of it out at the amp though. We'll see how adventurous I get.
                          Originally posted by Rockstar216
                          Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

I almost always use 500K with humbuckers. With single-coils, I like 500K volume and 250k tone. It opens them up a but the 250K pot and .022uf cap help keep them from getting too bright. Works great in my setup. 500K volume with 300K tone and a .022uf cap is great with P-90's.

Comment

standard. Except for humbuckers that were built to sound good with 250k pots like the JB.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X