Custom Order: What pickups to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Order: What pickups to use?

I'm in the process of ordering my first (possibly only) custom order from the good folks at Heritage. But I'm trying to figure out what would be the best pickup for me with this guitar... Here's the specs:

H-147 (technically not produced anymore, but if you're nice, they might still make one)
    Mahogany Back
    Five piece mahogany neck (Three strips of mahogany with two small strips of flame maple in between)
    Bound Ebony Fretboard with mini block inlays...

The H-147 is closer to the thickness of a Les Paul Special than a Standard, so there is less wood there, but its unchambered.

My music style is classic rock and Chicago electric blues

My rig is a Fender Super Sonic 60, with a Tube Screamer, Wah, and Chorus.

My first thought is Seth Lovers, as I love them in my Epi Dot Deluxe SE.

Given all my stats, what would sound best?

Re: Custom Order: What pickups to use?

There are many folks who have told me they think the Seth's sound great in mahogany: warm, articulate and really sweet. You might also consider the '59 set which would get you the tone you are looking for. Happy tone hunting!

Comment

Results from just one poll.....might help. The comments to the thread are also very helpful.
      I've ordered the Psychedelic Strat pickup set out of the Custom Shop....and have ordered a set of Vintage SSL-1's also.
      Also ordered 3 sets of Zephs (and they've arrived!) but that's a different story and for a different time :-)

I'm going with the plurality winner of the informal poll....Antiquity Surfer pickups for my next strat project. A little bit of a surprise winner for me but I'm sure there are good reasons why Antiquity Surfers continue to really impress.
      Good luck!
      Last edited by Diminished Triad; 08-15-2013, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Detroitblues View Post
        The H-147 is closer to the thickness of a Les Paul Special than a Standard, so there is less wood there, but its unchambered.

My music style is classic rock and Chicago electric blues

My rig is a Fender Super Sonic 60, with a Tube Screamer, Wah, and Chorus.

My first thought is Seth Lovers, as I love them in my Epi Dot Deluxe SE.
        Seths it is.

You don't need to look any further.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by Diminished Triad View Post
          https://forum.seymourduncan.com/poll...do=showresults

Results from just one poll.....might help. The comments to the thread are also very helpful.
          I've ordered the Psychedelic Strat pickup set out of the Custom Shop....and have ordered a set of Vintage SSL-1's also.
          Also ordered 3 sets of Zephs (and they've arrived!) but that's a different story and for a different time :-)

I'm going with the plurality winner of the informal poll....Antiquity Surfer pickups for my next strat project. A little bit of a surprise winner for me but I'm sure there are good reasons why Antiquity Surfers continue to really impress.
          Good luck!
          Ummm the dude needs humbuckers.... Not single coils.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

You might want to look into the Joe Bonamassa set.
            For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Working...
            X