banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It appears that I have completely forgot how to wire pups....little help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It appears that I have completely forgot how to wire pups....little help!

Hey guys - I'll just get down to brass tacks: Wiring a Les Paul, standard config (Epiphone if that matters). Two cheap Korean pups (modded with A8 and A4 mags, if you were interested). Each pickup has a Hot, a Ground, and one "Other" wire coming out. If these were four conductor Duncans, I would be good. But this "other" wire cause me to go a little free style.

I wired the Hot to the middle lug of each volume, the ground to the back of the pot, and the "Other" wire to the lug to right of the pot. Here is what I got:

Bridge - works. Volume does not ever go to "zero - I can still hear the pup when volume is on zero.
    Neck - works. Volume does nothing and the Tone control lowers the volume. Somewhat....

* Do not assume anything is soldered well.

Go!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: It appears that I have completely forgot how to wire pups....little help!

i've had 3 wire pups where there is the hot & ground like normal, then a wire that is connected to the middle 2 leads inside the pup so you can coil split on it, rather than extending both wires, then joining em together when you solder em in anyways. so don't connect it, or use it as a split.

either that or you've got hot & ground from the coils and a separate ground from the baseplate/poles.

Comment

do you have a meter? if so you can check to see what that wire is pretty easily

id start with wiring just the hot and ground and see what ya get. leave that third wire unsoldered just make sure it wont make contact with anything accidentally

Comment

Start, finish, shield?

Comment

its either that or the series link to split the coils

Comment

Hmmmm - The guitar they came from was originally intended to for a split. I'll just disconnect and see what happens.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

good plan

Comment

Working...
              X