Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing P90 Magnets + Pots etc.

Good evening all.

Currently have a Seymour Duncan SP90-2 (Hot P90) in the neck of my main guitar and I've found it to be a little too dark/muddy for my liking. Especially as I've grown to prefer brighter vintage output sounds in recent months. I've adjusted the pole-pieces and other bits and pieces but still want a brighter sound. I can't really afford to replace the pickup so was thinking about replacing the magnets as I've heard its quite easy and can have a large impact on the sound.

So my question is, What magnets (if any) will really brighten up my P90 ?

On another note , I'm rewiring the very same guitar. Strange configuration HB - Single - P90.
    I think the tone pots in the guitar right now are linear so it seems like they are either fully on or completely off. I understand audio taper pots would produce a smoother audio change from 0-10 if I have read correctly?

Lastly, What brand would you recommend when purchasing these Potentiometers ?
    Thanks in advance !

Re: Changing P90 Magnets + Pots etc.

Change your pots, & caps before you fool with the mag swap, you might save time.
    CTS pots are the norm, & def get the audio taper. I'd go with the 500k, depending on your config (1v, 2t?)
    Humbuckers like 500k, sc likes 250k, & p90s is a preference thing. Just remember, you can turn a 500k down to 250k, but not the opposite. you might find that the 500k pots may brighten things up
    Last edited by 925SS; 08-15-2013, 06:00 PM.
    6 pieces of wood with wires
    1 big box with a bunch of little glass bottles & 2 big round black things
    1 little red & white & black box with 2 little glass bottles that sits on
    a wood box with 2 big round black things.
    1 little black box with 2 slightly bigger black boxes under it.

Comment

The pots that are currently installed are already 500k (1v,2t) with a .047uF Sprague Orange Drop capacitor. I'm replacing the volume as its currently a push/pull to split the humbucker with a standard pot and install a mini toggle switch instead. Should I consider changing the caps ? Its only the P90 that sounds muddy to me, so I'd thought the mag swap would be the way to go.

Comment

If all else is good, swap the vol, & try a mag swap.
        These have the ceramic mags, I would suggest an A5/A3 combo because you said you were liking the "vintage output"
        A3 will give you the vintage, while A5 should brighten things up a bit while retaining the clarity

Comment

Only do one at a time so you can keep straight what the results were.

Comment

Comment

I've changed magnets in many P-90's. Very quick and simple to do, easier than changing pots and caps. Great way to change a P-90's EQ. The magnet-to-coil ratio in a P-90 is 2 to 1; in a HB it's 1/2 to 1, so you've got four times the magnetic influence. I have pairs of Duncan SP90-2's and SP90-3's and took all the ceramics out of them. I just don't think ceramics belong in P-90's, at least not for the blues and classic rock I play. I really don't know where ceramic P-90's would be a preferred option, as metal players don't use them.

The majority of P-90's have A5's, which are bright and lively. I'd yank out those ceramics and put in a pair of A5's. That'll give you a lot more clarity and definition. An A5/A3 pair will give a little softer high-end, a bit more mids, and a little less low-end. I think it's hopeless to try to get a good vintage sound out of a neck P-90 by changing pots and caps, as long as there's ceramic magnets in it.

P-90's have two magnets, laying side-by-side, repelling. With soap bars, they'll be two screws on top holding the PU to the wood, and another two screws underneath, holding coil to the baseplate. Swap one mag at a time so you can keep the orientation: slide an old mag out halfway, and hold a new one against it, so the ends repel and sides attract. Repeat the process with the other magnet. No soldering needed. You'll be done in a minute or two.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
              X