Question for Seymour Duncan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Seymour Duncan

I was just installing my new 59/custom hybrid in my nice new Black PG and I got out my phillips screwdriver and Duncan uses flat heads, I got my flat head out, it slipped scratched my new guard and the spring went flying somewhere in my studio yet to be found, my question is why the hell does anyone use flat head screws anymore? to keep the flathead screwdriver companies in business? I have never understood since the "phillips invention" why make flat head screws, maybe for pickup poles but I'd think Phillips would be even better Good Ole Bill Lawrence used Phillips in his old L-100 humbuckers in the 70's and then did away with them altogether and he is a Genius , ever use a cordless drill on a flathead? same crap happens it slips off..........I am happy with my pickup but not my screws, now that I have vented, I will get my magnetic flashlight and keep searching my studio for the lost spring!

Re: Question for Seymour Duncan

yeah, I'm not a big fan of the flatheads either.

Stewmac sells philips-head height screws FWIW. see here: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware...Humbucker.html

Comment

To keep the look original for the guys that are hotrodding guitars that are old and otherwise original.
      My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
      The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
      Originally posted by CTN
      I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
      FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

I have a drawer full of pups and hardware but I guess I never noticed until now, I just bought a bunch of new pups, my new P-rails same thing, I just looked at my new D'marzios and Phillips heads, I just looked at all my guitars on the wall, 31 of them, they all have phillips screws except my ones with Duncans, Hmmmmmm I dont know how it didn't bug me until now in 35 years of playing/modding guitars. All I know is I hate flat head screws they should outlaw them.
        Last edited by htwheelz67; 08-16-2013, 11:13 PM.

Comment

It's a vintage correct thing, which I understand but don't like.

For this reason, I always leave all the pickup hardware in the box, and install my new pickups into whatever the guitar came with. Then, I know where the guitar bolts are, where the Duncan bolts are, and most likely I'm dealing with phillips.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I've become used to the flat head screws but I used to order Philips replacements. I scratched a few pick guards and guitars before though, the more you do, the more you really take your time.
            Soundcloud

Comment

Slot heads are the Light Saber of guitar hardware. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

I personally love the look of them, and even enjoy the deliberateness of working with them. It's a vintage correct thing. I liked using them on celebrity guitars when they were in for work, like a "Frank was here" later if you'd see it on TV or something.

And I LOOOOVE the look of the old butterscotch teles/esquires when everything is flat head, even the neck screws.

You kids and your iPhones and fancy "centering" screwdrivers. Get off my lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                Slot heads are the Light Saber of guitar hardware. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

I personally love the look of them, and even enjoy the deliberateness of working with them. It's a vintage correct thing. I liked using them on celebrity guitars when they were in for work, like a "Frank was here" later if you'd see it on TV or something.

And I LOOOOVE the look of the old butterscotch teles/esquires when everything is flat head, even the neck screws.

You kids and your iPhones and fancy "centering" screwdrivers. Get off my lawn!
                YEAH BOY!!!
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I would like screws that are post stone age
                  and if it means so much to the vintage guys they can go special order flat heads.

Comment

Gotta get this out of my system, but should people that can't handle a flat head screwdriver really be changing their own pickups. alright, no offense, but the dichotomy of the concept is a little humorous. Would it be SD's problem if someone burns their hand because thy don't know how to solder? Or they ruin a guitar because they try to chisel out more space in a single space to fit a hum?

Secondly, leave the SW references to the pros.

Check out Fastenal or Ace Hardware or StewMac or AllParts or MojoTone or whenever and stock up on whatever pickup install screws you want. They are cheap and it always good to have plenty of spares for whatever application might come up.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CountFeedback View Post
                      I would like screws that are post stone age
                      Wouldnt all screws be "post" stone age?
                      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Not that it applies here but slot "Heads" are a stronger tool interface and are less likely to strip out than a phillips.

Next came the pozidrive philips which never took off for whatever reason but do show up here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by zaqwert6 View Post
                          Not that it applies here but slot "Heads" are a stronger tool interface and are less likely to strip out than a phillips.

Next came the pozidrive philips which never took off for whatever reason but do show up here and there.
                          because they strip faster than a young single mother with daddy issues.
                          torx screws could be an interesting choice, as players already have allen keys on hand (not the correct tool, but they'll drive them without damaging them)

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                            ^Post of the month.
                            My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                            Originally posted by CTN
                            I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                            FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                              What does, pozidrives ?

Oh hell no, they work great but very few people have the correct driver or even know that they require one.

Comment

Working...
                              X