Gibson BB3 is pretty cool, but.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson BB3 is pretty cool, but.....

How would a bb3 compare to a 78? I'd figure they'd be pretty similar right?

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
      How would a bb3 compare to a 78? I'd figure they'd be pretty similar right?
      If your talking about the custom shop 78,I dont think they are similar.

I had a BB3 in a traditional pro Les Paul. I felt the same way that tubecrunch does. I can say I did not like it.

I plug straight into the amp most of the time. So its just the guitar to the amp so pickups are important to me.

I have a 78 wound onto a P-90 base in my current guitar. It came with the guitar. Its a korina Les Paul Jr. style. The first thing I thought was to get a P-90 for the guitar. I was not going to like a humbucker pickup straight into my amp. Its a Victoria 5112. I did not like the BB3 with it.

Despite people thinking you will sound like VH and get the brown sound you would still need his set up to get close. I thought I was not going to like the 78. Boy was I wrong. I did not know that the specs were slightly higher than a regular PAF type wind. But again someone from Gibson said they wound the original PAF untill they were full. So they did vary somewhat and it was possibe the pickup VH had one will a higher amount of winds

If found it to break up nice and had definition so you could her all the notes clearly you were playing. No mud or high pitched shrill. It even cleans up well when you roll off the volume. I can roll the tone off and no mud. I think it is a versatile pick up.

If your thinking on a change i would pick the 78 over BB3 But YMMV
      Last edited by blues; 08-19-2013, 02:38 AM. Reason: *

Comment

I kinda like the BB3 but I don't know what pickup to match it with. I've got a 57 classic and a Pearly Gates laying around.... Which one would pair better with the BB3 in a 335 style guitar?
        There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

The BB3 I am testing out was matched with a 57c. They seem to work very well together. I think I lot of the LP Standard Pros come with this match.

LP Custom
          Greenbacks
          Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
            The BB3 I am testing out was matched with a 57c. They seem to work very well together. I think I lot of the LP Standard Pros come with this match.
            That is standard setup for Traditional Pros. I raised a couple of the pole pieces on my 57s in order to get the right balance and definition when combined with the bridge tone I liked.

Comment

Originally posted by Chocklit_Thunda View Post
              I kinda like the BB3 but I don't know what pickup to match it with. I've got a 57 classic and a Pearly Gates laying around.... Which one would pair better with the BB3 in a 335 style guitar?
              To me, both PGN's and '57's are fairly warm in the neck slot. I like more treble and clarity there, and swapped magnets in both.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                That is standard setup for Traditional Pros. I raised a couple of the pole pieces on my 57s in order to get the right balance and definition when combined with the bridge tone I liked.
                I haven't done pole tweaking yet on this setup, but right out of the gate, they blend pretty well. I'll bet some tweaks would be icing on the cake.

LP Custom
                Greenbacks
                Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                  To me, both PGN's and '57's are fairly warm in the neck slot. I like more treble and clarity there, and swapped magnets in both.
                  I also think the 57 could use a touch more treble in the neck. Do you think an A3 would help?

LP Custom
                  Greenbacks
                  Boss SD-1

Comment

Thanks for that info guys
                    Just for argument sake though, the PG measures at 7.83 for me while the 57C measures 8.22. Is this a large difference? I thought 8.2 and up was a nice vintage bridge pickup wind while 7.6 to 8 was for neck pickups (just using DCR as a reading) will the 57 be too harsh or woofy compared to the pg?
                    There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

I also think the 57 could use a touch more treble in the neck. Do you think an A3 would help?
                      Yes, A3 or A4.
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I haven't done pole tweaking yet on this setup, but right out of the gate, they blend pretty well. I'll bet some tweaks would be icing on the cake.
                        I would try it before swapping magnets, you may be surprised at how much it can change the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                          I would try it before swapping magnets, you may be surprised at how much it can change the tone.
                          Sorry, it was assumed that had been done already.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                            Sorry, it was assumed that had been done already.
                            Still, it's good food for thought. Nothing wrong with looking to the future.

LP Custom
                            Greenbacks
                            Boss SD-1

Comment

Working...
                            X