RTM comparison clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTM comparison clips

Last edited by darthphineas; 09-26-2013, 01:05 PM.

Re: RTM comparison clips

I am terribly sorry, darth, but the pod thing totally ruins your effort, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
      that'd be the feedback that is needed, my man. seriously.
      Last edited by darthphineas; 08-19-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

too add a little more input on the digital modelling thing, i'm a big fan of guitar rig and i run it on my chunky mac pro with a motu firewire audio interface, into a suitable DI, high Z, instrument input - so top notch kit all the way. the range of tones you can get from it are awesome, especially for the price , but it really responds oddly to pups. i found my p-rails with triple shots, or other splits made barely a difference compared to when they were through a real amp - even a solid state one. i have a villex passive booster in my strat and that has the opposite switching effect through my pooter than it does in an amp - that is _reeeeally_ weird!

when SD introduced the blackouts modular preamp, they said that it has 70% the sound of blackouts and 30% the sound of your pups. i think that running into modelling kit has the same sort of effect by virtue of the DI/pre-ampy bits before the ADC. dunno about the pod, but with an audio interface and the input section in guitar rig you can muck around with the sound level going in to the effects chains too, so have the same level of clean input sound with an ssl-1 or an invader, making the differences even less pronounced as you're still driving the virtual tubes as hard with vintage or metal pups, just changing the eq coming in. obviously for comparison purposes you'd want to not do this, but that goes against normal good recording practices of setting the level as high as possible without clipping.

plenty of us use modellers though, so there is still value in having comparisons through that sort of kit as well as through valve amps or solid state amps - it's all different kit that different people will use.

Comment

The Line 6 Pod Studio is just pretty much the interface, if I'm not mistaken. The work is done with the Pod Farm software, which does allow the ability to tinker with blends of the dialed-in tone and the dry input. The chain that the signal goes through is fairly customizable as to where a stomp box or an eq and so on can be placed. It's not quite as far out there as the AxeFX, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye. It does allow two rigs running at once, so in most cases I can (for example) run the gain on 7.5 on one amp and run the gain on 10 on the other and then play the riff once while recording each amp to its own track in Cakewalk so that the absolute only difference is the gain...I think that is something that someone suggested at some point.

The only purpose of saying that I even use that rig is to be transparent with any listeners so the only real burden they have is the sloppiness of my playing. lol! Which is to say, I'd rather put it all out there so that people can do the reverse engineering in their head as to how the pickup might sound for them. The amp settings and amp choices were based all on what I've read that people would like to hear, as I understand not everyone will want to hear the tone that I want or will be able to get what they want to hear from just one tone. I don't know of anyone that will have the selection of real amps on hand to accommodate the full range of tones that people will want to hear.

Even with the great job that zenmindbeginner does on his recordings, there are still people that want this or different want that different, so i know that not everyone will dig it. I just work with what I have and hope someone digs it and can benefit from what they hear. This is just something I enjoy doing...I dished out for the interface and all the software and I buy the pickups (like the IM1 that just arrived and i already have the next pickup on order) just to do this because it's interesting to me and it helps me working on my very rusty playing. lol! But any feedback is good, so that I can do better next time...but I'm not going to be going out and buying a lot of real amps just for this, which I think is totally understandable. I do have to say that I'm glad the comments are about the way it was made and not about my playing. haha!

EDIT: I can definitely make the clips fatter and pop a little more so they might sound cool or sound better, but the goal was to keep things as direct and transparent as possible.
          Last edited by darthphineas; 08-20-2013, 11:07 PM.

Comment

since the board seems to have some issues with the soundcloud widget, I was thinking about consolidating the samples or maybe even putting some of the sample back-to-back in a video format - that can also handle showing the tone settings so you won't have to scroll up and down or go back and forth to know what's going on.

as such, are there any suggestions for which samples should be prioritized?

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
              Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
              that'd be the feedback that is needed, my man. seriously.
              I disagree. I might be biased as an avid POD user myself, but I feel that digital modeling is often wrongly maligned. Go listen to zenmindbeginner's demo of the '78 and tell me that it doesn't sound amazing. He's using a POD X3 Live.

Also, I feel that using the POD makes each comparison much more apples to apples as you can digitally set each parameter exactly the same, whereas on an amp you might fudge a knob setting slightly or the mic might move, changing the tone.

While I'm not actually a fan of the RTM and the JB upon which it's based I do like your comparison and can definitely hear the differences between the guitars. The maple was generally more middy while the poplar had more of an upper mid spike while the alder seemed flatter overall.
              Nope...

Comment

thank you for your reply, GilmourD. while I do appreciate all feedback so that I can learn more about what works and what doesn't, I do have to admit that it's encouraging to see your feedback.

the settings I used for this set of clips isn't even what I would normally use, as much as an amalgam of what I saw people saying they wanted in comparison clips. while my main rig is the ADA MP-1, it's not something that's going to give the same baseline results as pulling up a model of a Plexi or a blackface or a JCM800 or an AC30 or whatever. and yes, the setting are saved and it's software, so it's not as a real amp that can be different each day.

I could go on, but I do appreciate hearing that you could tell the differences between the woods. after the first few sessions, I was getting punchdrunk and they were all starting to sound the same. I've already started doing a little work with the Custom Shop IM1 and I've been thinking about breaking up the more-clinical approach taken here with a few more fun tones.

Comment

Working...
                X