H/S, JB and what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H/S, JB and what?

Hey guys, I plan on making a Strat, all alder, maple/rosewood neck, and I don't know what I should have as a neck pickup. I'm gonna have a JB in the bridge angled, and I would like to have a single coil in the neck. I play a lot of Grunge, Alternative Hard Rock, and Punk, and I would mainly use it for solos so what would you guys suggest?
    Thanks for your help!

Re: H/S, JB and what?

Welcome to the forum! SSL-6 would be my choice.

Comment

Can you clarify if you mean a regular single coil or anything that will fit in a single coil space?

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

So, a single coil for the neck which will sound good in the neck and I've been looking at the Hot rails, the ssl-3, the hot stack plus, and the ssl-6.
        I don't know much about single coils in the neck, but I know I like the sound of them, I like a smooth sort of velvety sound, good for solos, I got a Big Muff and a Boss DS2 as my distortion pedals running into a Fender Frontman 25R, so any other ideas guys?

Comment

Well I know Seymour Duncan has humbuckers in single coil sizes, but I want true single coils.

Comment

STK-S4 ... classic stack plus.

You get noiseless all the way around.
            -Greg

Guitars:
            2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
            2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
            2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
            Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

I know you said true single coil, but you might want to consider either the L'il '59, or the JB Jr.

They both would give you a pretty good chime (Paul Simon uses a JB Jr as the sole p'up in the middle position in his Scipio Strat - chime central).
              "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

thanks skydog I'll check it out. And I thought about the same ones JT but like I said I'm really into a single coil tone, and yea i don't know why but I'm dead set on it.

Comment

I'd have to also go with the STK-S4. has the classic tone of a single coil, but noiseless. I'm using a few of them in the neck position and have been happy. also has enough output to not be overpowered by a JB in the bridge.

Comment

I would say for what you want either the SSL-6 or A SSL-7 quarter pounder. The QP is dark and wont chime like a vintage SC would but if your only using it for lead work chime won't really matter.
                    Originally posted by KBliss
                    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                    Originally posted by trevorus
                    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

YJM neck is what I'd do, big enough to compete with a JB, noiseless, a bit fatter than a standard single coil sound, but still very nice.
                      http://www.lonephantom.com
                      http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Originally posted by LonePhantom View Post
                        YJM neck is what I'd do, big enough to compete with a JB, noiseless, a bit fatter than a standard single coil sound, but still very nice.
                        +1
                        Who took my guitar?

Comment

I love how all of you are trying to help and I'm taking you all seriously and then I try to hear what these pickups sound like in the neck and I can't find any videos on youtube and stuff. dangit.

Comment

Flogging a dead horse...

"Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by grungeman55 View Post
                              I love how all of you are trying to help and I'm taking you all seriously and then I try to hear what these pickups sound like in the neck and I can't find any videos on youtube and stuff. dangit.
                              have you checked for the sound sample on the SD site? not all of the models have sample, so the lion's share should be covered.

Comment

Working...
                              X