banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To T-Top or not to T-Top...that is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To T-Top or not to T-Top...that is the question.

Guys - deep question. I don't even know that there is a right answer.

I am thinking about swapping pups in my #1 - 1979 Les Paul Standard.

She has always had forever, the original T-Top neck pup. I got rid of the Bridge because, well, it just sounded old and tired. There is a Distortion in there now. But the neck was always a very pleasing sound. Fat, balanced, almost A2P like in some ways if you ask me. I had swore I'd never swap it out.

But, a swap here a change there, and suddenly it seems I have a Zebra PG neck with no particular place to go. And as you may know, I am a huge PG fan.

So, thoughts?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: To T-Top or not to T-Top...that is the question.

I'm gonna have to say to T-Top. You said you like the tone of it, so I see no reason to replace it, especially considering it's an original T-Top.

And it never hurts to have a spare Pearly laying around.

Comment

I wish I had a spare Pearly.

LP Custom
      Greenbacks
      Boss SD-1

Comment

I know how ace feels. I have a spare Pearly... It's not a nice feeling. Knowin that you have this great pickup and its not gettin used.... :'( (these are manly tears!) and I literally don't have the time to build something for it at the moment....
        There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

im in the same boat. Spare set of Pg's and no axe for them.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            Guys - deep question. I don't even know that there is a right answer.

I am thinking about swapping pups in my #1 - 1979 Les Paul Standard.

She has always had forever, the original T-Top neck pup. I got rid of the Bridge because, well, it just sounded old and tired. There is a Distortion in there now. But the neck was always a very pleasing sound. Fat, balanced, almost A2P like in some ways if you ask me. I had swore I'd never swap it out.

But, a swap here a change there, and suddenly it seems I have a Zebra PG neck with no particular place to go. And as you may know, I am a huge PG fan.

So, thoughts?
            There is no magic to T-Tops, use what sounds good to you. If the PG is your preferred neck pickup use it. Duncan & Dimarzio both make better sounding pickups that T-Tops (IMO)

Comment

If you have a PGn in something else, keep the T-Top. If you don't already have a PGn in something else, then I think the PGn needs to make an appearance in your collection somewhere.

Comment

Leave #1 alone and buy a new guitar (and bridge pickup) to go with the PG.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                  If you have a PGn in something else, keep the T-Top. If you don't already have a PGn in something else, then I think the PGn needs to make an appearance in your collection somewhere.
                  This right here. I have a Caddy with set of PG's, including the one I would at UGD. I honestly think I like the sound of the PG neck more period. But I'll bow to sentimental pressure. And remember that I have a PG neck up and running in a very similar guitar if I need it. I actually have TWO neck PG's sitting! But one is on reserve for some Micheal Schenker goodness....or something needing a black white zebra set of PG/Custom.

But I'm surprised at all the 'PG going unused' remorse here. I thought I was the only one!

Comment

PG neck IMO is seymour's best production neck bucker. I would take that over anything except maybe a 59/Jazz with degaussed A5. Of course, custom shop is on a whole nother level but that's not really as affordable.
                    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Cliche, but very, very true IME. Besides, I like T-Tops for the most part (though they did vary quite a bit).
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Cliche, but very, very true IME. Besides, I like T-Tops for the most part (though they did vary quite a bit).
                        Indeed. The bridge T-top varied all the way to the "suck" range.

The neck - It just works.

Comment

My T-Top has been parked in the same guitar for over a decade (neck position) It's not going anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                          X