Metal Guys: DDn in bridge is bliss!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Guys: DDn in bridge is bliss!

its the clearest metal pickup ive ever tried. active like highs that extend more than other pickups. it feels so alive.
    the mids are set perfect, in a metal way.
    the bass isnt super heavy and bass accented but still chugs with clarity, ive found over the years pickups in the bridge that have an adjusted low end to sound heavy always end up very low end speaker talky in a quad tracked rhythm for me personally. i always end up having to readjust the rest of the entire range and high end mostly.

double thick ceramic
    5/8/9
    its not that height sensitive, i have it medium and its perfect.
    it doesnt have that DD super heavy compressed 5-6k saturated high end feel to it. it has organic texture and depth.

i wouldnt trade this sound for anything else metal wise.
    this is going to rock some serious metal mixes for me.
    best part is it still retains a little of the DDb sound, like when you play a power chord on the 2/3 string and then go down to the 1/2 strings it has
    that ahhh then down to ohhh sound which to me is the accent needed for a evil sound. there is no cocked wah sound, and the palm mute sound for the top three strings crunch with resonance in a metal sort of way.
    when you pick a chord the notes dont scream across the board, the upper mids are way more relaxed than the DDb.

hopefully this review isnt too cheesy and all over the place.
    i worked my ass off yesterday at work. im still drained but excited about this guitar sound!
    peace

here is a clip i just made of it
    quad tracked, very active like. stiff, wasnt easy to get right.

Last edited by surface54; 09-01-2013, 03:43 PM. Reason: added clip
    my youtube channel
    www.youtube.com/surfacexmusic
    my Industrial music for sale here
    http://surfacex.bandcamp.com/
    my soundcloud page
    https://soundcloud.com/surfacex
    my new soundcloud just for the gear demos i do
    https://soundcloud.com/surfacex-geardemos

Re: Metal Guys: DDn in bridge is bliss!

interesting. Can you post clips?

Comment

Its my favorite bridge pickup.....i have tried others (Tone zone, dominion, Super Distortion, JB, Screamin Demon, Fred) but keep coming back to it!
      Kiesel Aries Blood Red (M22SD/M22V)
      ESP LTD KH Quija Red Sparkle
      Friedman Be-OD Deluxe/AMT P-Drive, Boss RV-6 --> AMT Tube Cake --> 1x12" EVH Cab w/ Celestion Lynchback

Comment

Hey S54, I'm currently in the market for a bridge pup and I deciding between the DD, and the Custom. I havent actually tried either of them personally, but read about them and took a listen on U tube. I can't decide which pup would be better for my style of play and what would go better in my axe. I love playing modern metal and old school metal best from System of the down to Metalica, but also enjoy modern and old school heavy rock from new Alice n chains to GnR. I also play blues and I have a 59n which I want to keep in there. My questions are: Which pup out of the two would compliment the 59 best? Which one would give me a better sound for the tone I'm looking for, and which one would be most compatible with my 2005 LP Custom, Mahogany wood with an Ebony fret board? I believe my tone pots are 500k. I enjoy a tight, defined, punchy bottom end, a good midrange, and nice sounding articulate highs that aren't to shrill sounding. Thank you for any help that you can offer, and sorry for the long post!

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_Dru View Post
          Hey S54, I'm currently in the market for a bridge pup and I deciding between the DD, and the Custom. I havent actually tried either of them personally, but read about them and took a listen on U tube. I can't decide which pup would be better for my style of play and what would go better in my axe. I love playing modern metal and old school metal best from System of the down to Metalica, but also enjoy modern and old school heavy rock from new Alice n chains to GnR. I also play blues and I have a 59n which I want to keep in there. My questions are: Which pup out of the two would compliment the 59 best? Which one would give me a better sound for the tone I'm looking for, and which one would be most compatible with my 2005 LP Custom, Mahogany wood with an Ebony fret board? I believe my tone pots are 500k. I enjoy a tight, defined, punchy bottom end, a good midrange, and nice sounding articulate highs that aren't to shrill sounding. Thank you for any help that you can offer, and sorry for the long post!
          DD is nice indeed but for what you describe, the custom is what you want. sounds great in a LP with ebony board and will compliment the 59 great. Dd is better for modern metal but as soon as you said blues, alice in chains and LP with ebony board....that screams custom. It will do metal just fine. it is huge sounding!!

Comment

Originally posted by dvanburen View Post
            DD is nice indeed but for what you describe, the custom is what you want. sounds great in a LP with ebony board and will compliment the 59 great. Dd is better for modern metal but as soon as you said blues, alice in chains and LP with ebony board....that screams custom. It will do metal just fine. it is huge sounding!!
            Thx for the help dvanburen! I think I going to go with the SH-5. Just one more question though. Can I still get a dark, powerful modern/new heavy metal sound with the Custom? And If I wanna tone down the strong bass from the pup can I just make the adjusment on the amp? The amp I'm using is a Mesa Boogie 5:50 watt plus and I guess I can get some pretty heavy gain out of it if needed.

Comment

Custom is very big sounding. more power than the DD. the DD screams and cuts while the custom just hits hard. Huge power chords and chugs with the custom. Dd is more precise for shredding and has a bite to it. Custom has a PAF flavor where DD is modern. Both do metal just fine. Ive used both of those pups and love them both. For a les paul with a 59n, you cant go wrong with the custom. Problem is, you will want to get another guitar to put the DD in. I got into making hybrids over the last year and you can really get some sick tones that way. I use a custom/jb hybrid. JB is similar to the DD just different voicing. I use an alnico 8 mag in my hybrid and it totally slays. best of both worlds

The good thing about the custom is it takes well to magnet swaps. So try it out stock with the ceramic mag thats in it. If you like it (which you should) then leave it. If not you can put an A8 mag in it for a custom 8. that is a sweet pickup too. But try out that custom. It is at home in a les paul

Comment

Thx again! I'm going to go with the custom/59 combo. I'm not to much of a shredder at this point in my playing, so I will go with that combo for now. I would also like to explore the option of an A8 if need be. Ty for that suggestion also. When I do improve in the shred category I might just buy another axe and put the DD/Jazz in it!

Comment

i agree with everyone else on the custom over the DD for rock/metal with more snazzy character
                  my youtube channel
                  my soundcloud page

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_Dru View Post
                    Thx again! I'm going to go with the custom/59 combo. I'm not to much of a shredder at this point in my playing, so I will go with that combo for now. I would also like to explore the option of an A8 if need be. Ty for that suggestion also. When I do improve in the shred category I might just buy another axe and put the DD/Jazz in it!
                    the DD is picky in its uses
                    but can sound crushing
                    for AIC, not were it shines.
                    Last edited by surface54; 08-31-2013, 03:56 PM.
                    my youtube channel
                    my soundcloud page

Comment

Duh. Rumblebox posted some clips a month ago or so. The DDn/Seymourizer in the bridge doesn't sound overwound, which, to me, translates into "you need chops to sound good". If you're a monster player, you might sound awesome. If you aren't, it'll showcase all your slop. Sounds brutal but that's the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                        Duh. Rumblebox posted some clips a month ago or so. The DDn/Seymourizer in the bridge doesn't sound overwound, which, to me, translates into "you need chops to sound good". If you're a monster player, you might sound awesome. If you aren't, it'll showcase all your slop. Sounds brutal but that's the way it is.
                        10-4
                        its super articulate thats for sure.
                        more so than any others ive tried.
                        Last edited by surface54; 08-31-2013, 03:55 PM. Reason: cat jumped on the keyboard
                        my youtube channel
                        my soundcloud page

Comment

If 12k floats your boat, it should be awesome.

That's a zone Duncan really doesn't have any offerings in.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

59/custom hybrid, DDn and screaming demon. 3 pups in that dcR range. not that bad

Comment

Screamin Demon is 10k... so no not really 12.
                              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                              X