Whole Lotta Humbucker Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Lotta Humbucker Love

Wow! I just installed the Whole Lotta Humbucker set (no covers) into my Les Paul. I don't play it much because I've never found a pickup combo that gives me "THE" Les Paul sound I've been looking for for decades. The 59 combo is close, but both the Les Paul and the 59's have a fat bottom end and a bright top, so it sounds unbalanced to me. The Seth Lovers are great but they almost overemphasize the honky mids, which balances the highs and Bottom end of the Les Paul, but they don't sound like A5's. I usually end up using the Custom or Super Distortion bridge, both of which I find a bit cold/harsh, and a Seth or Dimarzio PAF Neck, which doesn't balance perfectly.

The Whole Lotta Humbuckers are perfectly balanced. They have A5 character, but more mids than the 59's. The highs are thicker and less brittle than the 59's and have a lot of bite. The bass is not overemphasized and a Les Paul fills them out well. The neck may be hot as far as the specs are concerned, but it is in no way muddy. The bridge has quite a bit more power than the 59 bridge. Both neck and bridge have a lot of chime. They nail the Jimmy Page; Heartbreaker, Since I've Been Loving You, Good Time Bad Times, Rock and Roll tones. It also does a great Randy Rhoads, Boston, Early Clapton thing.

The best thing about the set may be the middle position. I've never found a middle position with any pickup set that I like more than the two individual pickups by themselves, but this one is fantastic. Most of the time the neck dominates the bridge when they are combined and you have to play the volume knob game to balance them in the middle position. These somehow produce an sound that is just a more tame version of the bridge pickup, almost like you have a middle pickup.

I finally have the classic Les Paul tone that has been stuck in my head since the early 80's. I'm really glad Seymour decided to give us vintage tone lovers such a great classic PAF set in this age of Chugga Chugga Heavy Metal mania.

I do wonder what the split tone sound like. Has anyone wired them to a push-pull yet?

Re: Whole Lotta Humbucker Love

If you ever decide to go single coil on these pickups, you might be impressed. As you read this you will realize that I'm not a reviewer, so here goes. In my SG Standard, they lose a bit of power and thin out slightly, they seem to soften a bit and are still very useable - the bass and mids are still firm. The high is not shrill. Guess I'm trying to say the pickups still maintain their overall tone balance.

The neck and bridge are both useable in single coil mode and with middle position selected.

Have found that the neck on single coil and bridge in hb mode gives some good sounds when selected btwn neck, bridge, and middle positions.

Don't usually care much for single coils and I'm glad I made the extra effort to split these pickups.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

best pickup set. love them.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I have these installed in my Les Paul and am very pleased too with the results with the bridge pickup.

What I can't figure is how to get something nice out of the neck pickup.
        It's nice n all that but I can't immediately see how it stands out.
        Compared to the Seth Lover neck in another guitar, it doesn't sing in the same way?
        How you folks dialling in nice tone on the WLH neck?

Comment

I dunno ? I just flip it to the neck position and play. The neck is a little more like the 59n than the Seth-n. It has this wonderful airiness to it as you play notes on up the neck, and its not boomy in the bass, like the 59n in a Les Paul. I don't know if its good for high gain shred, but for classic rock and blues, even Slash's old Guns-n-roses lead work, it is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by calibre2001 View Post
            I have these installed in my Les Paul and am very pleased too with the results with the bridge pickup.

What I can't figure is how to get something nice out of the neck pickup.
            It's nice n all that but I can't immediately see how it stands out.
            Compared to the Seth Lover neck in another guitar, it doesn't sing in the same way?
            How you folks dialling in nice tone on the WLH neck?
            What is happening when you use it? not getting much sustain or??? If youre sure you have it wired up correctly, maybe you need to work on readjusting the height to find the sweet spot? I once had an AIIpro in the neck of my LP and I had a devil of a time getting it dialed in. too low, the tone was too thin, too high and it killed my sustain. Finally I got it in the right place, but took alot of adjusting..
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I have my Whole Lotta Neck set fairly close to the strings (2/32 ths for both the treble and bass side) I have not adjusted the polepieces. I should mention too, that my Les Paul is a relatively light example, and has a balanced tone acoustically. I'm playing through a Marshall JVM401c, and a fender Supersonic 22.

Comment

Working...
              X