banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimebucker opinions: Do they sound good coil tapped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimebucker opinions: Do they sound good coil tapped?

Found a near mint Dimebucker locally and the guitar I want it for is an ESP Hybrid II. I'm wondering if it can pull off a decent single coil sound when tapped. Never had any experience with this pickup. I know it's a screamer in full 'bucker mode but I'd like to be able to coax a decent single coil sound so it will balance better with the neck pickup which is a standard tele type neck pickup.

Re: Dimebucker opinions: Do they sound good coil tapped?

Originally posted by jpistolas View Post
    Found a near mint Dimebucker locally and the guitar I want it for is an ESP Hybrid II. I'm wondering if it can pull off a decent single coil sound when tapped. Never had any experience with this pickup. I know it's a screamer in full 'bucker mode but I'd like to be able to coax a decent single coil sound so it will balance better with the neck pickup which is a standard tele type neck pickup.
    I don't know how it sounds splitted but I had a Dimebucker with a series/parallel switch in a Fender style guitar (alder body, bolt on neck): in parallel, the PU had a single coil tonal color which surprised most people.
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I use a spin-a-split wiring scheme with my Dimebucker in a Washburn Dime 333. The mahogany body really helps eccentuate the low end that would not really be that present in different woods. I find the split sounds very useful, but usually either do not roll the second coil all the way out, so it still has a touch of humbucking and bass response from the second coil. In my experience, yeah, the split sound is useful.

Comment

Your guitar is pretty similar to mine. Alder body, bolt on. Here's a pic of an identical one:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	esphybridII.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	5771865

I like the idea of having a full out HB for the bridge but would like to get some more traditional tele tones out of it. I have a push pull pot I can install and I've considered ditching the tone (I never use 'em) for a switch. If I go through with the deal I'll try the coil tap first then your idea if the tap doesn't work out.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

BTW: is $60 a reasonable used price for Dimebuckers? I have very little experience with them. Used to paying $40-$50 for used Duncans but I noticed the retail on these were a little over $90!!

Comment

I think that the alder body and maple bolt-on neck might be a bit brighter, but balancing with the neck pickup should bring back some low end resposne. I never use a tone control either, so found the spin-a-split to be a great way to use that extra knob. Having the Dimebucker's second coil rolled mostly off, then bringing the neck pickup (Alnico II pro in my guitar) really gives a unique sound.

Comment

Heck yeah. They sound better split (or even parallel) than they do as full-on humbuckers, IMO.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

When I ran one of mine split (I have 3 laying around), it reminded me a lot of a Telecaster. Very brilliant and twangy.
                Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by jpistolas View Post
                  BTW: is $60 a reasonable used price for Dimebuckers? I have very little experience with them. Used to paying $40-$50 for used Duncans but I noticed the retail on these were a little over $90!!
                  $60, I think, is about £45 - about half UK retail price. I'd say evens on a good deal, especially if it's near mint.
                  Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

I had a Dimebucker in my Schecter Tempest Custom (which comes with coil-split). Oddly enough, I liked the way it sounded when the coils were split- it had a ballsy, Telecaster-going-beast-mode kind of sound to it that even sounded pretty good clean (something you can't say about it in full humbucker mode). It even impressed my dad, who's a die-hard Telecaster player and prefers "vintage output".

In fact, I personally think Seymour Duncan should make a single-coil version (especially in a Telecaster form-factor) of the Dimebucker... it was THAT good.

Comment

I wonder, that having now done an Invader single coil, if they might do a Dime single coil...

Can you tell us if you plan to do that..? I'd buy one

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
                        I wonder, that having now done an Invader single coil, if they might do a Dime single coil...

Can you tell us if you plan to do that..? I'd buy one
                        In another thread I mentioned a Dimebucker/Invader hybrid. And if I get the extra cash scraped up after I get everything else done that needs done, I might have to call the Custom Shop......
                        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                          In another thread I mentioned a Dimebucker/Invader hybrid. And if I get the extra cash scraped up after I get everything else done that needs done, I might have to call the Custom Shop......
                          Now that sounds good. I have a few ideas for hybrids but, I'm after having them made before I voice them, you know?

I've got 15 different custom models to have made including 4 hybrid models.

Comment

I also enjoyed the dimebucker split, was in my g400 epiphone before I snapped the neck and upgraded to a Gibson sgj.
                            Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                            X