Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-S-H wiring help needed...

Hi guys,

Sorry for all the questions in my first post here! I'm currently looking to replace the pickups in my Ibanez RG1451 for something a bit better. For those who don't know it, this guitar is a basswood body, bolt on, 5 piece neck with a rosewood fretboard and a fixed bridge.

I still haven't decided on pickups, so any suggestions there would come in handy, but that's not the main reason for this post...

I've decided, I'm wanting to do something a bit different on the switching front. What I'd like to do is use a push/pull pot and a 5 way switch to switch between the following configurations:

Pot in:

Position 1 - bridge (humbucker)
    Position 2 - bridge (humbucker) and middle
    Position 3 - bridge (humbucker) and neck (humbucker)
    Position 4 - neck (humbucker) and middle
    Position 5 - neck (humbucker)

Pot out:

Position 1 - bridge (coil tapped)
    Position 2 - bridge (coil tapped) + middle
    Position 3 - bridge (coil tapped) + middle + neck (coil tapped)
    Position 4 - neck (coil tapped) + middle
    Position 5 - neck (coil tapped)

Is something like this possible? I'd imagine I'd have to use a super switch rather than a standard 5 way.

Thanks for any help guys,

Martyn

Re: H-S-H wiring help needed...

You can almost do this. Here's the snag. In the "pot-up", 5-way-middle position, you want three things switched. Bridge and neck split, middle "on". It requires one quadrant of the Superswitch and one half of the push-pull to do the "middle-on" function. that only leaves one side of the push-pull left. If you were only splitting one humbucker at a time, the 4th quadrant of the superswitch could select which pup, (neck R/W or bridge R/W), went to the push-pull. But you want them both on. So, they need to stay independent in that middle position.

I'll look at my diagram some more, but I don't see any way to overcome that last snag.

Artie

Comment

Here's how to do it without the neck being on in the middle, push-pull up position.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shorty87-b.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	5771872
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 09-03-2013, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your help ArtieToo! Would it be possible if I used a push-pull volume pot too?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Yup. That would do it.

Comment

Sorry to ask but how would that work with the other pot?

Comment

No prob man, but I'll have to get this tomorrow. I'm just getting ready to head out the door to work. Stay tuna-ed.

Comment

Thanks man! :-)

Comment

I've been thinking about this a lot more today, and I'm trying to get my head around how this would work myself...

I'm assuming it the configuration I want is possible using 2 push/pull pots, that one of these would be used to coil tap the humbuckers, and the other to add/remove the middle pickup? If this is the case, I think I'm right in saying I could use a standard 5 way switch rather than a super switch?

Comment

Sorta, kinda, maybe. The thing is, a Superswitch gives you 5 discrete "input" terminals. A standard Fender 5-way only gives you 3, with positions #2 and #4 being 1&2 and 2&3 respectively. It's still do-able, but let me chew on it.

Comment

You're a star, thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                      X