Take a look at this wiring scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take a look at this wiring scheme

Hi guys, first time posting. Hope you can help me out with this...

I'm about to rewire a LP guitar with 2 push/pull pots so I can turn on one coil of each pickup, the other, or both.

I've been working on this schematic, but I'm not sure if its correct. Don't want to go trial and error because I want to do a clean soldering job. All the pots and stuff are good and new.

Here is the diagram

Click image for larger version

Name:	WIRING QUESTION 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	5830272

The intended effect of this wiring is:

1 No trebble loss when turning the volume pots down

2 Both pots pushed = normal humbucking behavior (series, both coils on)

3 Bridge pot pulled / neck pushed = screw coils active on both pickups

4 Neck pot pulled / bridge pushed = slug coils active on both pickups

5 Both pots pulled = paralell (both coils on)

Now people I need a hand here.

What am I missing?

Will this wiring work as expected?

Thank you very much for reading this. And thanks for the advice!

Re: Take a look at this wiring scheme

Looks fine except for one little detail. See the two purple wires on the "bottoms" of the push-pulls? I mean the two terminals farthest from the knob. On one push-pull, reverse the two connections or you'll have neck stud with bridge screw and vice-versa.

Edit: One more thing, its the screw coils that will be on when the neck knob is pulled.

Edit 2: Dang . . . there's another problem, but I can't go into it in detail while at work. If you can hold off firing up the soldering iron 'til later this evening, I'll detail the problem for you.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 09-04-2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much Artie. I can wait. I appreciate a lot your help. Ill be checking the details you posted.

Comment

Ok . . . not this evening. (I'm whooped.) How about in the morning?

(This will require a diagram.)

Comment

Heh! what about this one?

Hope you're having fun this weekend

Click image for larger version

Name:	RaulRiera-wiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	5771921

I've done some changes on the tone pot/cap to make soldering simpler. I wonder if this wiring would keep the trebble whe rolling down the volume.

As I said, Im not in a hurry, so take your time and check it out. Thanks!

Comment

I gues you reversed blacks and greens to reverse the coil selected when one switch is on and the other off.

To me, the diagram is correct with following comments:

1) Your volume pots are dependent so, when you completely roll off one, your guitar will shut up (when both pickups are on).
            2) You are wiring tone in the '50s way and, yes, this should give you an smoother roll off of trebles, more natural but, this also adds some brightness and openess to the tone that you can like or not. Alternative is a Treble bleed mod.
            My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
            My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Thank you Hermético, and thanks to Artie too. You guys are great helping noobs like myself, hehe. I'm learning a lot with this little project.

Indeed I want the tone to open up a bit. And going for independent would add complications to the way I'm used to play the controls, and add a feature that probably won't use.

I gave it a lot of thought to settle for this wiring. It’s like all the stuff I want in a guitar and none of the options that I don't.

Next: adding a nanomag pickup and circuit ;D

nahhh... ;P next: playing, practice, study, recording and put it to good use!

Comment

Working...
              X