Duncans vs. Gibsons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncans vs. Gibsons?

It's really hard to go wrong with the JB/Jazz set.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

To get the sounds your describing I definitely think you are on the right track pup wise. A set of Jazzes, or the jazz/C5. Gearjoneser swears by the C5 where others of us have had less than favorable results (me lol) due to the scooped nature of the pup. It's an overwound PAF. The JB is another option. It is a high output pup with a high mids spike, it will give you that good raw sound and is articulate as well.

I think AC/DC I think A5 magnets. Tight low end with good treble

Luke
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
        It's really hard to go wrong with the JB/Jazz set.
        I gotta agree with that, it's Seymours fave for a reason...
        "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

Thanks. I'm pretty sure Jazz is the one. Now to decide on bridge. JB, C5, A ll Pro, PG's. You think an Jazz would soun good in the bridge as well? I don't want too much treble, I have that now with the DDesigns. I think they're a "59/Jb import combo.
          but not 100% sure. I'm getting there with this pup decision. If I had bucks to burn it wouldn't be so hard now would it.
          '65 Silvertone
          '05 Epiphone Les Paul Plus, A2ProN / '59B
          '05 Gibson Les Paul, Burstbucker Pros
          Fender HRD, Ruby Tubes
          Johnson J Station
          Boss Blues Driver
          sigpic

Comment

Man I think AC/DC I think bright. So that's why I said a jazz bridge pup as well, but it's going to be a vintage output, if that's alright with you. For clean stuff I don't think there are s a better pup than the jazz/s or jb. For jazzy stuff you are going to need clarity and in my book that's where the jazz excels, clarity under gain and clean. If you get the JB plan on putting in a 250k ohm pot if you don't already have one to tame down the brightness.

The A2P is going to give you a more midrangey vintage tone than the jazz, with a more even string to string response. The PG is going to be like the A2P but more midrange still and a bit more in the presence knob frequencies.

Luke
            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Nice input Luke. It's not like I play a lot of AC/DC, just throw one in now and then. Everyone likes them. Blues Rock Texas style (a lot of early ZZ Top) is more my style with some midrangy 70's classic stuff intermingled. Also- I didn't know that about the 250k pot difference. Guess I need to study alittle more. 'bout read to take the plunge. If I don't like what I'm hearing, there's always ebay to dump them I guess. I do like the idea of the more vintage sounding pups. I'm a little afraid of getting too much treble. I'm trying to tame an already bright guitar. I know I will like the Jazz neck though.
              '65 Silvertone
              Fender HRD, Ruby Tubes
              Johnson J Station
              Boss Blues Driver
              sigpic

Comment

I think the Gibson 496 and 500 are both interesting and have very characteristic sounds... I don't think there's anything out there which does what they do exactly. I mean how fuzzy the 500 sounds under gain... which isn't necessarily a good thing, and how the 496 is harsh and muddy in a certain way. Personally, I don't like those things, but when I hear them I recognize it. I don't know if I'm saying what I want to say. They have certain tonal aspects which everyone won't find desireable, but that most people will recognize.

Comment

What about the Blues Saraceno? Good bridge with the Jazz neck?
                  '65 Silvertone
                  Fender HRD, Ruby Tubes
                  Johnson J Station
                  Boss Blues Driver
                  sigpic

Comment

For a more midrangey tone I'd go A2P, PG, or Seth. A2 mags, vintage output, very full. The A2P is as warm as a Mississippi day is long. Here is a blues saraceno thread https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=26951

Luke

Comment

You all have helped my decision process greatly. At this point I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. I let you know how it turnes out. Jazz neck, and A2Pro or PG bridge. Thank you all again. Be seeing ya.
                      '65 Silvertone
                      Fender HRD, Ruby Tubes
                      Johnson J Station
                      Boss Blues Driver
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X