banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guys with golden ears: which Duncan minhums are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys with golden ears: which Duncan minhums are these?

Judging by the guy's replies on youtube,he had no idea. Or he was being difficult.

EDIT: They're SM-3, see this post.

Anybody willing to wager a guess?

Last edited by ParameterMan; 12-10-2013, 05:23 PM.

Re: Guys with golden ears: which Duncan minhums are these?

Is that an embossed logo on the neck p/up....could be the seymourised.

Comment

It could well be a Seymourised Mini in the neck, but that's not what he's playing unless he has his switch wired arse about face. The bridge could well be a pickup, but I'm not absolutely sure about that...
      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

The bridge seems to be in proportion drive and output wise with the neck in the second clip. Based on that I'd say there'd be a matched pair fitted.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          The bridge seems to be in proportion drive and output wise with the neck in the second clip. Based on that I'd say there'd be a matched pair fitted.
          That'll teach me to watch a clip the whole way through properly, I missed him flip over to the neck part way through. You could well be right.
          Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Mini hums are some of the most underrated pickups out there. The 70's Gibby ones were a bit underwhelming depending on setup, but I've got a set wound to PAF strength and they have the best neck tone of any pickup I've played.

Comment

The 70's Gibby ones were a bit underwhelming depending on setup, but I've got a set wound to PAF strength and they have the best neck tone of any pickup I've played.
              In my case, I was playing with a singer that had a, pancaked, toothpick-maple-necked '81 Goldtop Deluxe. He INSISTED that I use his guitar.

I was miserable, to say the least. The tone was pure mud in the neck and had a screechy, tootchache-inducing bridge p'up, plus it weigthed a ton!

It was 1983. From that moment on I've avoided'em like the bubonic plague and anthrax put together.

It wasn't until three years ago that something made me change my mind about minis.

One of regular customers asked me to install a Duncan SM1 set in a P-90 loaded '50 Tribute and boy, did they sound gorgeous, and the "chirp" was to die for.

Oh, the memories... *sigh*

Comment

If he already has an SM-3 in the neck then likely another SM-3 in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                  In my case, I was playing with a singer that had a, pancaked, toothpick-maple-necked '81 Goldtop Deluxe.
                  Wow, a nice combo of a pre 77 body with an 80's neck.....impressive time-travel construction guitar there......or it could have been a 75/76.

Comment

Is that an embossed logo on the neck p/up....could be the seymourised.
                    Yes. Both pickups are embossed/stamped as far as I can see, and as you said they sound like they're from the same set.

I'm just under the impression that all three SM sets have embossed covers... even the Duncan site shows it. If it's only the SM-3 then that answers the question rather handily.

Comment

They all have embossed logos, so ignore anyone judging by sight.

Comment

So YouTube changed their comment system again and now an ancient post has resurfaced to clear up the mystery:

Originally posted by guitarbyron
                        ...they are actually SM3's in both positions. I really wanted to put the antiquity's in but couldn't bring myself to spend the money. The stock pickup was a bit too weak for me...
                        Reference comment, URL may not work in the near distant future.

Comment

Working...
                        X