Review: Custom with big ceramic mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Custom with big ceramic mag

Been playing around with custom 8 for a while. Really like it.. A lot. I started Duncan's with the stock custom sh-5 and that used to be my go to then I found mag swapping.. The custom 8 seemed to keep the organic nature of alnico and give much more power like ceramic. I was really digging it. Then the more and more I play it it was missing something. It wasn't lacking balls it was lacking "meat". That big low punch of the ceramic. After playing a8 in the custom I realized that the small ceramic in the sh5 was colder and " tinnier" and certainly less organic. It was still warm but had something missing compared to alnico mags.
    Then I try the big ceramic pulled right from a distortion. I've been meaning to do this for a while and just never did. Man, this thing kills! It doesn't sound like a ceramic pup. It sounds very warm compared to the small ceramic. It actually sounds similar to alnico but.... It has the "meat" that the c8 was missing. And it has much bigger balls than the c8. But it's not over the top at all. Doesn't sound any louder just fuller! It actually made me realize that the c8 had a much shriller top end. The c8 would screech with finger slides over the strings and actually would get on my nerves after a while. This big mag tames that high end and adds some real meat and fullness to the sound. Much more punch. But not sterile sounding like the stock custom sounds(compared to alnico, and now the big ceramic). I really like this version of the custom the best now. It adds the bite and low end punch of the ceramic but actually retains the warmth and smoothness like organic. But it doesn't have a harsh top end at all. Actually less than c8 or regular custom. It's a really great pickup. I love it so I'm gonna jam with it for a while then do a custom/distortion hybrid with big ceramic and do a review on that
    Last edited by dvanburen; 09-08-2013, 08:03 PM.

Re: Review: Custom with big ceramic mag

Nice review. I have a distortion laying around, maybe I will give it a shot as well.

Does it fit without any modification? Just loosen the screws, pry apart a bit for the larger magnet, and that's all?

Comment

You have to turn the spacers on their side in the custom. No big deal tho

Comment

It is not wooly sounding either. Darker than the custom 8 but still clear. Tighter than a8 and a tad darker. But not muffled or wooly. Still very clear and has the ceramic bite but not a cold harsh bite like the small mag can have. My initial impression was that this thing was going to be too much, kind of like when I put the a8 in the jb. That was a one trick pony. This one is warmer and much more dynamic and pleasing. I like it

Comment

Originally posted by dvanburen View Post
          It is not wooly sounding either. Darker than the custom 8 but still clear. Tighter than a8 and a tad darker. But not muffled or wooly. Still very clear and has the ceramic bite but not a cold harsh bite like the small mag can have. My initial impression was that this thing was going to be too much, kind of like when I put the a8 in the jb. That was a one trick pony. This one is warmer and much more dynamic and pleasing. I like it
          Got any soundclips of it..?
          Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Izzo is a big fan and he turned me on to that pup and I'm a huge fan now too. You're right, it doesn't necessarily add output it's just....bigger for lack of a better word. The leads seem to sing a bit more than the regular custom, it retains the tight aggressive low end but somehow it seems like it adds more character to it. Very very cool pick up, I have one in my Hamer and it hasn't come out in over a year.

Comment

I wonder how close that sounds to a 500T?

Comment

Don't have a way to record right now.

It amazed me how warm it is and how much character it has. I was really expecting something way over the top with that big mag. It could do rock, hard rock, blues rock, stoner rock whatever or straight up metal. But it cleans up surprisingly nice too. It's fat but has a lot of clarity and bite without being harsh at all. It's full without being muddy. A little darker than custom 8 and custom 8 does leads a bit better but this one hits harder and is tighter. I'm really really digging it

Comment

It also sounds great in the full shred, you can get a double ceramic from most any cheap import pickup, don't take apart your distortions just for a 50 cent magnet.

Next take the custom and distortion and make a double thick hybrid, I made one with the full shred and its pretty awesome.

Comment

I don't have any cheap imports. I would like to buy a few thick ceramics from somewhere tho. And the double thick hybrid is next for sure. I'm just having so much fun with the thick custom right now

Comment

Told you so.

You do need to be selectlive where you get mags, some cheapos are gaussed out real crazy. I pulled a big ceramic out of an Epi that was crazy strong (fridge test) compared to everything else I had at the time.

Comment

^I've always wondered about that. More specifically wondered if gauss level could contribute more than the magnet type itself. I wonder how Addiction FX gauss levels compare to factory Duncan pickup magnet gauss?

Comment

Good question, no idea.

Comment

It is a good question but the big mag from the distortion is awesome in the custom! I hate to pull apart a great dd pickup but.. It's worth it

Comment

I'm starting to think this may be my favorite pickup right now

Comment

Working...
                              X