Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 string Blackout Bridge

Hello

I am a new member and this is my first post. I joined the site because I just bought a Schecter Hellraiser C-8 FR, which came with active EMG 808 pickups. I am usually an EMG user and I love active pickups. But everyone seems to hate the 808 in the bridge, and understandably so. It is very muddy and lacks clarity in the low end. I was surprised EMG dropped the ball so severely. There are only two active pickups on the market, the EMG 808 (808x) and the Blackout, so I bought the Blackout Bridge immediately with my guitar because I wanted to have something to make my new 8 string enjoyable. People seem to really like the Blackout in general, and I thought, "Hey why not? If the 808 is so bad, the Blackout has to give at least more tonal possibilites if nothing else." I was very surprised to find that it was far superior. I love the Blackout Bridge! It is an amazing pickup, but I couldn't beleive there are no reviews on it and no one has any information on it, barely even the SD website. I wanted its technical specs in terms of output and EQ, but I couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know anything about the 8 string Blackout Bridge? Id like to know mechanical differences, specifically in comparison to the EMG 8 string pickups, which they apparently now have the 81-8,85-8,57-8,60-8 and 66-8. I am practically an exclusive 81/85 guy, but this has totally changed my mind about EMG. My main choice is the 81 in the bridge because of the clarity, but I can't imagine any other pickup coming close to the 81 except the Blackout Bridge. In fact, I think the BO Bridge might even be better than the 81-8.

Furthermore, has anyone tried the EMG RPC in conjunction with the Blackout? The RPC boosts highs and cuts lows on active pickups, and it works with SD BO of course. Only one member on SSO has any experience with it. I want to add it to my guitar. Something worth looking into for any one else with an 8 string and active pickups.

So, please share whatever you can on the BO Bridge.

Thank you

Re: 8 string Blackout Bridge

The bummer part is the 8 string stuff is still a tiny niche market so really not many guys here have checked them out.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
    X