Screachy highs on Ibanez S470

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Screachy highs on Ibanez S470

I've done a few things that have helped a little, but the problem is still there. I stepped up to size 10 strings. I had it set up with 9.5's, which I liked because they were so easy to play. I also cranked the little string tree bar behind the nut down so the string lies a little tighter against the lacking nut's contour.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
      I've done a few things that have helped a little, but the problem is still there. I stepped up to size 10 strings. I had it set up with 9.5's, which I liked because they were so easy to play. I also cranked the little string tree bar behind the nut down so the string lies a little tighter against the lacking nut's contour.
      Try taking the bar off for a minute, just to see what happens.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I've had the trem bar and lock off since I started modding it.

Comment

I've had the trem bar and lock off since I started modding it.
          I meant the string tree bar.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Oh. Hmmmm.. its definately worth a try. When played acoustically, it is one of the most resonant balanced sounding guitars I have. The 2 high strings don't ping or buzz when unplugged. They do ring out clear and strong, but then so do the other strings.

Comment

one of parallel axis series?
              Originally posted by GuitarDoc
              Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

You might have to resort to some post-switch trickery, like a small resistor-capacitor bleed to get rid of those ultra-high harmonics.
                "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
                  You might have to resort to some post-switch trickery, like a small resistor-capacitor bleed to get rid of those ultra-high harmonics.
                  I already tried jumping the pot terminals with resistors of different values to lower the amount of treble frequency. I have hundreds of "new" resistors in dozens of values left over from before 1960 in my Grandfather's electronics stuff. It changes the tone, and I found some interesting combinations, but it did not get rid of the harshness/screechiness of those highs. It just made the overall pickup darker. The highs, though, still had that microphonic quality.

Comment

I already tried jumping the pot terminals with resistors of different values to lower the amount of treble frequency. I have hundreds of "new" resistors in dozens of values left over from before 1960 in my Grandfather's electronics stuff. It changes the tone, and I found some interesting combinations, but it did not get rid of the harshness/screechiness of those highs. It just made the overall pickup darker. The highs, though, still had that microphonic quality.
                    What capacitor values did you try?
                    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
                      What capacitor values did you try?
                      Everything from .010 up to 1000, and everything in between, using alligator clips. The tone on the Air Zone was great with the 680 and 820 cap jumper, but they muddied up the Paf Pro neck. In the end, I left them all off.

Comment

Can you record a sample?

Comment

Working...
                        X