banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help wiring SD Hotrodded Pickup set in Ibanez S571dxqm HSH.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wiring SD Hotrodded Pickup set in Ibanez S571dxqm HSH.

Hello, I was looking for some help wiring my Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Set in an Ibanez S571dxqm HSH guitar. I'm going to use the stock Inf 1 middle pickup with the SD jazz in the neck and SD JB in the bridge. So far I've got the pickups installed and they're all working, except for a few issues. First issue is when the 5 way switch is in position 1 or 5 (full humbucker) there is alot of loud humming, and it gets louder when volume on amp is turned up. When in positions 2,3, & 4 there is no noise or humming at all. Kind of confusing. When I installed the Duncan's on the 5 way switch I put the black where the Ibanez white wire was, and put the red/white where the Ibanez red was. Green/ bare wires went to ground at back of pot. The only other change I made was the cap which was a .023 MicroFard. The stock pots are 500k so I used a .047 yellow foil cap.

Second issue is that when in position 1 & 5 (full humbucker) it sounds like the middle pickup is on as well.

Third issue is that I want to wire the Duncan's with the middle single INf 1 the same as the stock pickup configuration was. Positions 1 & 5 fullhumbucker, position 3 single coil only, and position 2 and 4 which should be neck or bridge split with middle pickup. As it sits now I think positions 2 & 4 are neck or bridge (full humbucker) with middle pickup.

My Ibanez S571DXqm is a 2013 mode and the wiring diagram I used was on this site called the Duncanized wiring diagram. I couldn't use the SD diagram cause it's for a 3 way switch and HH.

If someone could help me with this guitar I would very much appreciate it. I'm not new to electronics but wiring a guitar is pretty new. I usually buy guitars that already have pickups I like in them, or only change the pots and cap. But after playing this beautiful light weight guitar I knew I had to have it even though I knew I didn't like the pickups. And for only $340 on ebay.

Re: Help wiring SD Hotrodded Pickup set in Ibanez S571dxqm HSH.

You might have wired that a bit incorrect.

Which diagram did you follow? Was the original Ibanez Wiring like this:

I think you put the Duncan black where the Duncan red and white should go. Put the Duncan Black where the Ibanez red was and the Duncan white and red where the Ibanez White was. hope it helps. Ibanez has some diff wiring at times. and their switches are wired diff internally.
    Ibanez Blue= Duncan Green
    Ibanez white=Duncan red
    Ibanez black=Duncan white
    Ibanez red=Duncan Black
    Last edited by Jocelyn; 09-15-2013, 04:06 AM.
    sigpic
    Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Also, when in the #1 and #5 positions, tap gently on each coil and make sure you don't accidentally have them split. Thats what it sounds like.

Comment

Thanks for your reply to my post. Well, the stock wiring looks similar to the imageshack diagram except the ibanez inf 1 middle single coil only has 2 wires. White to lug 2 and black to ground at back of pot. Other than that it's identical. The diagram I used I found in this forum called the Duncanized version. I'll try to attach it. Click image for larger version

Name:	S470-Duncanized.png
Views:	1
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	5772057 . This diagram is for a Ibanez S470, which I guess is the same as my S571. With this wiring my position 1 & 5 (full humbucker) work fine. Position 3 (single coil only) I can barely hear. Position 2 & 4 (middle and bridge or neck) I can't hear at all.

Currently I have the Duncan black wire and red/white wires opposite of what you recommended. I'll switch the wiring as you have advised and get back with the results. Thanks.

Comment

I used the diagram attached to above. Where the black wires are shown for neck & bridge is where the Ibanez white wires used to be, and where the red/ white wires are shown is where the Ibanez Red wires were. Also, there is no cap on the volume pot.

Yes, when I check pickups in position 1 & 5 both sides work on each humbucker and they sound great. Just need positions 2,3, & 4.

So, I'll reverse the wires as advised and get back with results. Thanks.

Comment

So, today I reversed the red/white and black wires as advised, but pretty much the same results. I wired opposite of diagram shown above. Positions 1 & 5 full humbucker works fine. Positions 2, 3, & 4 still have very low volume. I ohmed out the middle Inf S1 single coil, and it measured about 9k ohms. So, it's a pretty hot pickup. Should sound alot louder.

Is the Ibanez 5-way switch not capable with the SD humbucker splitting with middle pickup. I need the north bridge of the bridge pickup to be split and in parallel with middle pickup (position 2), and the south bridge of the neck pickup split and in parallel with the middle pickup ( position 4). Position 3 the middle single coil only. Is there a better 5-way switch that will allow this, or do I just have the wiring incorrect.

Any help would be appreciated and shared. Thanks.

Comment

Took the guitar to a local guitar shop and was told it would be hard to determine the layout of the stock 5 way switch. There were no serial # or anything on the stock switch. So they installed a Steward Macdonald Mega E switch. They routed out some of the wood from the cavity to fit it in. Most switches will not fit perfectly in this model guitar's very small control cavity. The work they did was great and the guitar sounds awesome.

The Duncan Jazz and JB sound really good with the stock INF S1 middle single coil. Positions 2 & 4 are the inner coils of the Duncans in parallel with the middle INF S1 single coil. Position 1 & 5 are full humbucker, and position 3 is middle single coil only. Comparing the Duncans in this guitar compared to the stock INF 1 & 2 humbuckers is like night and day. The Duncans bring clarity, depth, and great articulation whether playing clean or hi gain.

If your looking for a great set of pickups I highly recommend these Hot Rodded humbucker set. You might also want to try the Duncan Smooth turning potentiometers with an RS Guitarworks capacitor. These RS Guitarworks caps are the only caps made specifically for guitars. I also put these pots and cap in my G&L USA Legacy and it sounds awesome. You can buy them on ebay.

Any questions on wiring a similar Ibanez guitar with a Mega E switch and Duncans, I'd be happy to help. I'll give pickup wire location on the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by A13Hluz View Post
                Took the guitar to a local guitar shop and was told it would be hard to determine the layout of the stock 5 way switch. There were no serial # or anything on the stock switch. So they installed a Steward Macdonald Mega E switch. They routed out some of the wood from the cavity to fit it in. Most switches will not fit perfectly in this model guitar's very small control cavity. The work they did was great and the guitar sounds awesome.

The Duncan Jazz and JB sound really good with the stock INF S1 middle single coil. Positions 2 & 4 are the inner coils of the Duncans in parallel with the middle INF S1 single coil. Position 1 & 5 are full humbucker, and position 3 is middle single coil only. Comparing the Duncans in this guitar compared to the stock INF 1 & 2 humbuckers is like night and day. The Duncans bring clarity, depth, and great articulation whether playing clean or hi gain.

If your looking for a great set of pickups I highly recommend these Hot Rodded humbucker set. You might also want to try the Duncan Smooth turning potentiometers with an RS Guitarworks capacitor. These RS Guitarworks caps are the only caps made specifically for guitars. I also put these pots and cap in my G&L USA Legacy and it sounds awesome. You can buy them on ebay.

Any questions on wiring a similar Ibanez guitar with a Mega E switch and Duncans, I'd be happy to help. I'll give pickup wire location on the switch.
                Hi, I'm new to the forum. I ordered a pair of Hot Rodded Humbuckers and an SD Single Coil ( Don't want to leave the middle INF singlecoil inside) and wanted to do the same on my Ibanez S470, same as you in Split mode as it is with the Stock Pickups. Didn't get the Pickups yet. So if you are right I will need to change the Stock 5-way switch also? Why is that? It must be possible to do it with Ibanez Switch if it functions as Stock... I really hope I won't have to change it. Please Help!!!

Comment

Working...
                X