Dimarzio Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Metal?

Can anybody recommend to me a solid Dimarzio pickup that'll get me as close to possible as Heavy Metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc)?

How would it compare to an EMG 81 or Seymour Duncan Distortion?

Re: Dimarzio Metal?

I have heard good stories about the DiMarzio Super Distortion.
    Much output and a great low end chunk. I think this one is quite similar to the SD DD, but I am not sure.

Check out the DiMarzio website, there is a lot of info about their pickups.
    And read reviews on harmony central to find out what others guys say about it.
    Rock on!

Bluesrock form the Netherlands!

Comment

tone zone is supposed to be good too, but i have to first hand experience
      Originally posted by Aceman
      It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Super Distortion is the sound of 70's hard rock. Duncan Distortion is the sound of 80's metal and early metallica. EMG 81 is the sound of modern metal and nu metal.

Comment

the Subsonic is really good. personnaly i like to stick with seymour duncan. the Dimebar,Duncan Distortion, Full Shred, Jb model, Blues saraceno and Invader would probably do the job perfectly.
          Cornford Hellcat
          Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
          Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
          Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
          Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

There's plenty of Dimarzios that will do a modern metal sound just depends on what kind of EQ'ing you want with it. The Drop Sonic is an extremely tight pickup with a darker tone to it. The Evolution can get you close to Metallica...it has the tightness output and presence. The X2N is another great pickup from them that is fairly well balanced but super high in ouput.

The Tone Zone is alright but I feel that in most guitars(not all) it's too mushy and bassy.

Both companies make great pickups, some of it is just diving in and trying one....you might not nail it on the first shot...everyone's setup is different.

Comment

What kind of EQ configuration do you want for the pickup?
              Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
              Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
              Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
              Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
              Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
              Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
              Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
              Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

I can get some wicked metal tones out of my DMZ Super Dist. But a DS-1 in front of it and crank it up!

Comment

What kind of EQ Configuration?

Can somebody explain what that means, I'm just slightly confused.

If it's what I think it means....I want My Highs and Lows to be fairly high, my Mids to be fairly low, and my Mid Frequency to be slightly higher then my low but lower then the highs and Mids. Something like this:

Highs and Lows: 7/8 out of 10
                  Mids: 3/4 out of 10
                  Mid Frequency: 4/5 out of 10.

Above all else, I need something GREAT for Lead! I bought a lead guitar, so I need something that'll sound sharp, seering, heavy metal that doesn't screech!

Comment

Sounds like you may try to hear those dimarzio Pickups and duncans TOO
                    Duncans : 59, Custom 5, Dimebucker,Jazz ,Full Shred.
                    Dimarzios : Steve´s Special, Super 2.

IF you don´t like mids, those are your options
                    but if you like a lot of mids, ahahah i can recomend more pickups.
                    HAILS
                    J.P
                    Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                    Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

I've been thinking about the Duncan Custom! Also I've been thinking about the Dimarzio Evolution as well....I just can't decide.

Even though the EMG is the sound I specifically want, I'm not going with it most likely because it'll cost way too much money, and I don't feel like taking care of the active humbuckers.

Comment

so get a set of dimarizo evolutions
                        you will love it.

or a duncan distortion neck or full shred neck and a duncan custom bridge.
                        i guess a set o duncan distortions will blow your ass all the way
                        HAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAH
                        Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                        Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Comment

Originally posted by TDevilG
                          Even though the EMG is the sound I specifically want, I'm not going with it most likely because it'll cost way too much money, and I don't feel like taking care of the active humbuckers.
                          EMGs aren't that much more than Duncans, plus, how do you "take care of active humbuckers"? Change the battery after every 3000 hours of playing time? Aside from that, there's no difference in "care."

You said before that you bought a "lead guitar." What exactly is a lead guitar?
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by TDevilG
                            Can anybody recommend to me a solid Dimarzio pickup that'll get me as close to possible as Heavy Metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc)?

How would it compare to an EMG 81 or Seymour Duncan Distortion?
                            What kind of amp/efeects are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
                              Super Distortion is the sound of 70's hard rock. Duncan Distortion is the sound of 80's metal and early metallica. EMG 81 is the sound of modern metal and nu metal.
                              This statement is a VERY broad generalization. The only one I'd agree with is the Super D, as it was the only pickup available for quite awhile in the 70's.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X