banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Production JB vs. 35th Anniversary JB vs. Antiquity JB Model comparison is here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Production JB vs. 35th Anniversary JB vs. Antiquity JB Model comparison is here!

First off: Incredible video. I'll be doing something similar with some Duncan and Dimarzio PAF type pickups I've been collecting but have ZERO production values, lol.

I noticed you said the guitar is your #1 and I looked for details on it in other videos but couldn't find 'em. What are the body/neck woods?

Comment

Re: Production JB vs. 35th Anniversary JB vs. Antiquity JB Model comparison is here!

Originally posted by tonaholic View Post
      First off: Incredible video. I'll be doing something similar with some Duncan and Dimarzio PAF type pickups I've been collecting but have ZERO production values, lol.

I noticed you said the guitar is your #1 and I looked for details on it in other videos but couldn't find 'em. What are the body/neck woods?
      If I recall, it's a Hamer with a rosewood board maple neck and an alder body set up for HSS. It's loaded with a Floyd. Dunno if he has it blocked.
      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
        amazing comparison and video. the best i've seen.

the stock production JB seems to have the most clarity and composure. the ant sounds a bit beefier. my faves in order are stock, ant, 35th.

thanks!
        Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
        EXCELLENT video. That goes for the playing, the scientific comparison, and the video production. Jeez... I don't think I'd ever be able to put together a video like that.

For all the people that have argued that EVH used a JB at one point... I've always said that I just can't hear it in his tone. Then you go and test the Antiquity and I can hear it. If somebody wanted to use a JB for an EVH guitar build I would never be able to argue against the Antiquity version. The midrange spike seems to be moved down the spectrum a little bit and it's just angrier sounding, like you said.
        Originally posted by tonaholic View Post

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
        If I recall, it's a Hamer with a rosewood board maple neck and an alder body set up for HSS. It's loaded with a Floyd. Dunno if he has it blocked.
        Great observations! I totally agree with you on the EVH GilmourD. It's almost a perfect match for the Diver Down/1984 era sound.

It is absolutely thrilling to be able to vibe and connect to y'all through these reviews. Your largesse & magnanimity feeds my soul and is greatly appreciated... I'm sure I can speak on Scott Olson's behalf on that as well. We've got lots of more stuff to review and hopefully I will get to participate as much as possible.

Yes, the 1992 Hamer Centaura is a one piece alder body with a maple neck. 24 frets on a 25.4" scale length . The fingerboard is Pau Ferro which is similar to rosewood but is less porous and more smooth. Feels like ebony but sounds like rosewood. Sonically, I actually think it has a bit of a focused midrange sort of like maple does... less bloom than rosewood too. I actually replaced all of the black hardware with gold 'cause I like the bling. Took a while to get the Hamer stamped Schaller Floyd and tuners. The finish is a simple oil based walnut stain with a very thin coat of nitro on top (I bought it from the guy who stripped it and did a decent job of refinishing it).

Originally posted by whatshisname View Post
        They are all very similar, and the little nuances give each of them something that I really like. The stock one sounds a bit stiffer, not that that's a BAD thing, mind you. The other two are even closer to each other, from what I can hear. The 35th Anniversary could be a winner, for me. But, I think that I could live pretty happily with any of them. There's no mistaking that they are all JBs.
        Three unique variants of a strong flavor. You are on to something about describing the regular JB as "stiff'... they all did have a different feel.

The 35th Anniversary was like an old mellow friend and was very comfortable feeling.

The production JB was a bit more stiff and sonically more "awake".

The Antiquity JB was just wild and had a dynamic and searing sizzle to it that was addictive. If I could just get the mechanical "boominess" out of it, it would be perfect for what I do musically.

Originally posted by J E C View Post
        Now I'm curios about a UOA5 in a JB.
        I think we have several members here who could chime in on their experiences with that swap, hopefully they will.
        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

A big thank you for zenminsbeginner for putting this together. I know I promised you guys a comparison 5 months ago and zenmindbegginer took the challenge to make it happen In the most scientifically possible way.

Personally, I liked the Antiquity JB best, an upper clarity that really stood out to me, but all were good and awesome.

Comment

Now get to work on the next 70 Duncan models
            nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

Awesome demo as usual Zen , what tune is you start playing ay 1:11 in the standard production JB demo, is it a Lynch Mob tune?
              When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

There's just something about that SD aging process.

Great job, great clips.
                “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
                X