Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico 2 and Alnico 5

Hi people of the forum ,

I have a question and i hope i can get the answer I want . Will there be a problem if I pair an Alnico 5 in the neck with a alnico 2 on the bridge?

Thanks

Re: Alnico 2 and Alnico 5

Problem? No.

Will you like the outcome, tone-wise?

Well, that's when you tell us about.

Are you talking 'bout inverting the magnets in the 490R/498T set?

HTH
    Last edited by LtKojak; 09-21-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

That's really not enough info...

It depends on the pickup.

Example...if you put a 59 (alnico 5) in the neck and a Pearly Gates (Alnico II) in the bridge I see no issues.

However if you put a JB (alnico 5) in the neck and an Alnico II Pro (alnico II) in the bridge I see issues BUT not from the magnet...

Just keep in mind the strength of the pickups you are mixing and matching.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thats what I would like to know . I would like to match a SD SH-18 whole lotta humbucker neck with a slash alnico pro 2 in the bridge . I like the warm on the bridge but on the neck its too warm , i would like something brighter and the SH-18 sounds good .

Comment

ok, nope i wanna pair a slash alnico pro 2 in the bridge and a whole lotta humbucker in the neck

Comment

It depends on the pickups in question, and on what you like tonally. It's an extremely general question that can't really be usefully answered as it was asked.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by n15h93 View Post
              ok, nope i wanna pair a slash alnico pro 2 in the bridge and a whole lotta humbucker in the neck
              You'll be fine with those. At worst, you might want to pull the neck pickup a touch further from the strings than you otherwise would.

Comment

Thank you so much !

Comment

a "problem"? no. the only "problem" would be if they aren't wired properly and then you just have to keep at it until you figure it out.

but the real question seem to be about how they would sound. sound is something that is different to each person's ear. some people think the C8 is over-hyped and some people would open a vein than do without it. it's personal opinion. if you've read the descriptions and looked around online for reviews and are comfortable with what you've found...then go for it.

what you're saying about what you like in the neck and bridge makes sense for the models you are talking about. get them and install them and give them a tumble and see if you can't have an eargasm.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

It can be done, but you'll need to set the neck p'up very far away from the strings to balance the output and probably losing all what's good because of that.

You'll be much better off both tone- and output wise with an A3 modded APH1N in the neck with the stock APH1B in the bridge. I just have a LP modded with this very set right here, so I can tell you how good it actually works for the customer.

HTH,

Comment

Thats what I would like to know . I would like to match a SD SH-18 whole lotta humbucker neck with a slash alnico pro 2 in the bridge . I like the warm on the bridge but on the neck its too warm , i would like something brighter and the SH-18 sounds good .
                        A WLH neck will overpower an APH in the bridge specifically in its much bigger and more defined bottom end. WLH's are far more powerful than the winding specs might suggest. IN terms of pure "matching", the reverse configuration to what you suggest would be more workable (i.e. APHn and WLHb).

....or bite the bullet get a complete WLH set. Its ridiculously good.
                        Last edited by Chickenwings; 09-22-2013, 09:43 PM.
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                        X