banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three double thick ceramic magnets in a JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three double thick ceramic magnets in a JB?

I know the subject of ceramic mags in JBs has been beaten to death, but I'm having trouble finding out of anybody has tried three double thick ceramic mags in one.

The reason I'm wondering is that I'm thinking about putting an A5 in my Gibson 500T, and since I'm not too fond of the JBs I have, why not trade magnets? But I am curious if anybody else has done this.
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Re: Three double thick ceramic magnets in a JB?

Edit: ONE ceramic in a JB gives you a Duncan Distortion. 3 ceramics im will give you an Invader (SH-8)
    3 Double Thick Ceramics will probably give you a balls to the wall invader capable of burning flesh of every face in a 7 mile radius..... DOOOOOOOOOO IT!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Chocklit_Thunda; 09-23-2013, 02:23 PM.
    There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chocklit_Thunda View Post
      Edit: ONE ceramic in a JB gives you a Duncan Distortion. 3 ceramics im will give you an Invader (SH-8)
      3 Double Thick Ceramics will probably give you a balls to the wall invader capable of burning flesh of every face in a 7 mile radius..... DOOOOOOOOOO IT!!!!!!!
      Any particular type of ceramic??

Because I have an JB that I'd like to replace and if I just need to swap the mag, then that would rock.

Please let me know which one I should get.

~LD
      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

I think you only get ceramic 8's now. From Lt. Kojack's post about the dirty fingers it seemed that the triple thick ceramic mags were the ceramic 5 variety. I think C8 is much stronger than C5 so a triple thick C5 would equate to a normal or double C8.

Don't take my word for it though. If any gurus have any input that would help.
        Last edited by Chocklit_Thunda; 09-23-2013, 02:55 PM.
        There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

The mag in the distortion is only double thick not triple thick.

In terms of gauss ceramic 8 is almost identical to ceramic 5. So dont be thinking that a triple C5 is the same as a normal C8. Having the normal sized mag and the 2 helper mags in the invader is much different than just having a super strong magnet particularly in how the magnetic field is shaped.

You could swap the 3 mags from the 500T which are not 3 full size mags but 1 full size mag and 2 helper mags that replace the spacers. It wouldnt be the invader at all the cap screws of the invader have a large effect on its sound. I would try it its worth a shot it would probably be super fat but tighter than an invader.
          Last edited by Edgecrusher; 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM. Reason: Read the post wrong
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

You'll end up with something very Dirty Fingers-like, spec wise. 16K 44 awg polysol with triple mags. I've done similar mods with success. You'll most likely have to remove the keeper bar under the screw coil on the JB to use the 500T center mag, and make sure you put them in so they repel, like a P90 (SN-NS-SN).

Comment

edit: pretty much.

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
              Any particular type of ceramic??

Because I have an JB that I'd like to replace and if I just need to swap the mag, then that would rock.
              first, what is it about the JB that does and does not work for you? you really need to start with an idea of what it is you want to accomplish.

edit: someone with accurate knowledge stepped up and confirmed to me that the JB and DD and Invader are in fact the same coils and the mags are the difference. given the scope of the information and other factors that may or may not be related (that include just not caring any more), I won't be defending the "JB wind is not a DD wind" in the future.
              Last edited by darthphineas; 09-25-2013, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                The mag in the distortion is only double thick not triple thick.

In terms of gauss ceramic 8 is almost identical to ceramic 5. So dont be thinking that a triple C5 is the same as a normal C8. Having the normal sized mag and the 2 helper mags in the invader is much different than just having a super strong magnet particularly in how the magnetic field is shaped.

You could swap the 3 mags from the 500T which are not 3 full size mags but 1 full size mag and 2 helper mags that replace the spacers. It wouldnt be the invader at all the cap screws of the invader have a large effect on its sound. I would try it its worth a shot it would probably be super fat but tighter than an invader.
                Yeah, swapping the three mags from the 500T into a JB is what I'm pondering. And since I've been wanting to swap an A5 into my 500T, and I'm not fond of my JBs with A5s in them, it makes sense to take an A5 out of one of my JBs for the 500t and give the Ceramic mags out of the 500T a try in that JB.

I'm hoping it does tighten the JB up. What most people describe as fluid just sounds like mud to my ears, although I do like the growl in the midrange.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                  You'll end up with something very Dirty Fingers-like, spec wise. 16K 44 awg polysol with triple mags. I've done similar mods with success. You'll most likely have to remove the keeper bar under the screw coil on the JB to use the 500T center mag, and make sure you put them in so they repel, like a P90 (SN-NS-SN).
                  Thanks, I'll keep a that in mind. I plan on marking one end of the magnets with a marker and also mark the top side as I'm taking them out of the 500T and then just slipping them in the JB the same way.

I'll try to get to it this weekend if I get done wrenching on my Bronco soon enough.

Comment

I really like the ceramic in the jb. I've just used a c8, but just that is really nice sound. Super clear and articulate. On an unrelated side note, I really like the jb stock, not a fan of the a8, but the a9 is super gnarly and I love it.

Comment

Old news, but no it doesn't. I shall say no more
                      DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                        nope. and nope.

first, what is it about the JB that does and does not work for you? you really need to start with an idea of what it is you want to accomplish.

second, a 0.125" thick ceramic would fit without any muss or fuss... Ceramic 8 come in that size. a thicker Ceramic might require something as simple as putting the spacers on their sides. neither option will turn a JB into a DD or any other Duncan model. it will just be a JB with a ceramic magnet.

Thank you very much man. I was responding to a post that was very cut and dry, so I thought I just needed a magnet.

I want the same pickups across all "like minded" guitars so I don't have to guess too much when I switch up.

Now that I've seen all the rebuttals and counter posts to the original post I was asking about, I'm just going to buy a distortion.

Thanks again man for clearing things up.

~LD
                        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

you can definitely put any of those mags in there.
                          Last edited by darthphineas; 09-25-2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                            you can definitely put any of those mags in there... but it seems that the misguided concept of "JB=DD +/- types of magnets" is just not true and been disproven again and again. put a ceramic mag or some ceramic mags in a JB might give you just what you want. but it won't turn it into a DD.
                            I think you're overstating the differences between them now. I've done it a few times, and sure, they don't sound exactly alike, but it's not night and day. Actually I chalked the difference up to being an older MJ pickup vs. a recent pickup. Same with an Invader/Custom hybrid vs. JB/C hybrid. They might not be the same wind, but they're defnitely similar. Yes, I'm including the Invader.

Comment

*yawn*

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

Working...
                              X