High output bucker for fingerstyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High output bucker for fingerstyle

I am looking for a high output humbucker. I don't use a pick and I chew my fingernails, I literally play with my fingertips, so I need something with a nice firm/tight low end. In the past I have tended to not like ceramic magnet pickups. I am looking at the SD alternative 8. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

Re: High output bucker for fingerstyle

The Full Shred has a super tight low end and a nice high end. Its super hot but has an A5 magnet so that should suit you about right.
    Originally posted by Rockstar216
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

High output pickups will squish the dynamics a bit, and I think you could use all the dynamics you can keep, when fingerpicking. The Full Shred is a great pick for that. If you wanted to go a bit odd, try the Custom Shop's Fuglybucker. The Fugly is very percussive, which would help highlight the string snap. I play a good amount with fingertips too, and I really loved the Fugly's performance there.

The Alt 8 is very thick and chunky. I wouldn't recommend it, based on what you're otherwise saying, unless you have a really bright, snappy guitar.

Comment

What guitar u using? How about p90s
        -IM

Comment

I recently discovered the Fuglybucker. That is a VERY interesting pickup. I will have to investigate further.

The guitar will be a "strat" type. Mystery body that is likely alder and a maple/rosewood neck. I have p90's and they are great. I also have PAF style and strat pickups that I am very happy with. I am looking for something to smash the front end of an amp with while retaining some clarity using the fingertips.

Maybe I should check out some Wilde L-90's? I have a q-filter hiding around here somewhere.

Comment

Wilde or Bill Lawrence are great for what you are doing...i think there is a q-filter anywhere around my work bench, too...
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
            X