banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Custom™ SH-11 and TB-11 for bright guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Custom™ SH-11 and TB-11 for bright guitars?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but I've been reading it for a long time. So thanks to all who take the time to answer questions, give their opinons on pickups, and post sound clips.

I'm pretty sure this question has been beaten to death already, but I'm considering the SH-11 Custom Custom for a Fender american special strat.
    This guitar is plenty bright in the bridge position (which is the one I want to upgrade) so I'm looking for a medium output PUP that will warm it up but still retain articulation for soloing and riffs.
    This pick up looks good based on the description but when it refers to bright guitars, does it mean that it enhances or complements the brightness or that it balances it out with a warm sound making it less bright?

I play hard rock, classic heavy metal and I'm using a Blackstar HT-5R

any thoughts, comments and recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Custom Custom™ SH-11 and TB-11 for bright guitars?

Are u playing stuff like Sabbath?
    -IM

Comment

You may want to check out my current blog: http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/pi...custom-custom/
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

CC's are a warm PU, due to the A2 magnet and being overwound. They're often too warm for a Les Paul, but work well in Strats.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
          CC's are a warm PU, due to the A2 magnet and being overwound. They're often too warm for a Les Paul, but work well in Strats.
          how would an a2 in a full shred fare in comparison? Would it gain some "elasticity" over the standard a5?
          I could see it as being a slightly CC. Am I wrong here?

Comment

I really like the Custom Custom, but I would just like some more clarity and dynamics from it. The compression from the Custom wind is always going to be there, and while I like the EQ curve, the delivery seems to suffer from a lack of note-separation. I have a hunch the lack of note separation would come from the compressed feel, but it made slightly worse because of the EQ curve with the A2 magnet. I still really like the pickup, but I think it would be perfect with that issue solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
              I really like the Custom Custom, but I would just like some more clarity and dynamics from it. The compression from the Custom wind is always going to be there, and while I like the EQ curve, the delivery seems to suffer from a lack of note-separation. I have a hunch the lack of note separation would come from the compressed feel, but it made slightly worse because of the EQ curve with the A2 magnet. I still really like the pickup, but I think it would be perfect with that issue solved.
              I've got the solution for you: make that CC a double-row of screws, set both rows of screws about 1 1/2 turns higher than bobbin level and change the magnet to an UOA5.

You've got your "purr-fect" p'up right there.

You can thank me later.

Comment

Originally posted by robmstrat View Post
                I'm looking for a medium output PUP that will warm it up but still retain articulation for soloing and riffs. I play hard rock, classic heavy metal and I'm using a Blackstar HT-5R.
                The bridge p'up you're describing is a '59/Custom Hybrid, modded with an UOA5 mag.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by Inder_Cine_Mann View Post
                  Are u playing stuff like Sabbath?
                  I like a more modern sound than sabbath may be something between them and Metallica. I like high gain and tight distortion but I still like to hear all the subtle overtones of a vintage-ish/ medium output pups.

Comment

Those clips were great and they really conveyed the pup's sound in different situations. Thanks man, this was super helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                      The bridge p'up you're describing is a '59/Custom Hybrid, modded with an UOA5 mag.

HTH,
                      Interesting.... I'll have to look into this. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                        Good deal. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X