Antiquity aging, magnetic field and that sizzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antiquity aging, magnetic field and that sizzle

So I have some Antiquity PAF Buckers, Bonamassa Buckers and Dimarzio 36th and they all have this common "sizzle" or "electronics breaking up" type sound that adds an extra dimension to the sound. Having compared the 36th to Air classics, the air classics are much "cleaner" and don't have this quality. I have some Seths to try out as well and have a feeling that they don't have that aged breakup I'm hearing.

Does anyone know if this comes from the wind itself on the Duncans or doing something to the wire to make it behave this way? It would seem Dimarzio is getting it from the Virtual Vintage stuff they do to break up the magnetic field.

I'm curious if Ants keep this quality after mag swaps?

Re: Antiquity aging, magnetic field and that sizzle

This quality comes with having very little to none coil offset in a humbucker's design.

Best heard on the neck p'up by itself, or the "chirp" effect of both p'ups together.

HTH,

Comment

Thanks. So don't all Duncan pickups have zero (or damn near) offset? My 59's and Slash set don't do this sound?

Comment

Originally posted by tonaholic View Post
        Thanks. So don't all Duncan pickups have zero (or damn near) offset? My 59's and Slash set don't do this sound?
        My '59n both have this quality. And certainly my APH1n and my Jazz neck as well. Ironically, my Ant neck a bit less than the aforementioned others. I call it "articulation".

Rule of thumb is: more turns of wire in the bobbin, less articulation, even with the coils being exactly the same.

Manipulating this is a big part of p'up designing and making, as it's ALSO affected by magnet type and the alloys used in the slugs, screws, keeper. baseplate and cover. It's the chef's recipe what makes it or breaks it.

HTH,

Comment

Working...
        X