59 bridge hum splittable in a Strat??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 bridge hum splittable in a Strat??

Acquired a HSS Strat with a Slash PUP in the bridge recently. Had a pro tech add a toggle and convert to a 4 conductor/splittable. Sounds ok, but a little thin/trebly for a Strat.

Looking to beef up the bottom a bit and get a more even split sound so thinking a 59 bridge like a I have in a 335 (totally different gtrs, I know).

Any thoughts or experiences with a 59 in a Strat or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Re: 59 bridge hum splittable in a Strat??

Fender used to put a Pearly Gates Plus in Strats, and this is going back into the late 1990's or early 2000's and they sounded well suited to the guitar. Have no idea how those pickups compare to the current day PG's pickups.

If you are interested in a 59, I'd like to suggest the WLH bridge pickup. Compared to a 59, it has more mids, cleans up better, and gets crunchier when I dig in. Also, it splits nicely. I have no idea how this pickup will work in a Strat, I have it in a SG. Really like the pickup.

Fender owner and player, I am not. Nor am I am a seasoned reviewer.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

'59Bs are pretty thin and trebly, not what I'd get if I was wanting a warmer, fuller sound. '59's are bright and mid-scooped in Gibson-design guitars, and only going to be brighter in a Fender.

For a better split sound, you probably want something hotter in the bridge than a PAF. What kind of music are you playing? If you're playing hard rock and metal, a Custom (SH-5) would be a better choice. More output from the hotter wind and stronger magnet. Sound fuller split. Plenty of firm low end.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Hybrid might be a goer too

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          Hybrid might be a goer too
          It's going to be 'thin and trebly.' Hybrids have a combination of HB and single coil sounds, which makes them brighter than a typical HB with balanced coils.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

JB

Comment

Playing everything from 70s hard rock tones to roots to modern country. Had or have 59, Custom 5, JB, Duncan Dist but all in Gibsons but never in a Strat. The Slash would probably sound great in a Paul, but looking for some bass oomph and a clean roll-off with the volume pedal or knob. Sort of partial to the V magnets as they've been the pups I've kept in most cases.

All suggestions appreciated :-)

Comment

Your probably going to need a hotter Hber like the Custom or the JB if you want to use the pu split by itself. I usually go with an auto split wiring on an HSS and a five way switch, so the HBer is only split in combination with the middle pickup. The output of the HBer split is not much of an issue that way. If you want a PAF type sound with the full on HBer then the Dmz 36th is suppossed to yield a more usuable split sound when split.

Comment

JB works very well split in a Strato, while '59 doesn't.
                  My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                  My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Working...
                  X