First Custom Shop Order arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Custom Shop Order arrived!

I ordered a pair of humbuckers to be based off the jazz model, but with both pickups having one coil slightly under wound. Here's the specs:

The normal SH-2N...
    3.86 + 3.86 = 7.72k
    The normal SH-2B...
    3.95 + 3.95 = 7.9k

My custom ordered SH-2N...
    3.86 + 2.5 = 6.36k
    My custom ordered SH-2B...
    3.95 + 3.5 = 7.45k

Click image for larger version

Name:	customduncanpickups.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	5830433

...are going to be put in this guitar...

Click image for larger version

Name:	customteleHH.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	5830434

I find it odd that so many pickups are so hot, yet there's such a small market for low wound humbucking pickups. The jazz model is one of my favorite humbuckers to begin with, but I want the resonance peak just a touch higher, and I've like a lot of unbalanced pickups I've gotten to play. Hopefully I'll have time to install them today. I'll post feedback in this thread if anyone is here is curious what they sound like. :-)

Re: First Custom Shop Order arrived!

Nice. Look forward to hear a sound clip...Actually I don0t think I have ever heard a Jazz bridge anyway. Is that a blacktop tele?
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Nice. Did you keep the A5's?
      -IM

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
        Nice. Look forward to hear a sound clip...Actually I don0t think I have ever heard a Jazz bridge anyway. Is that a blacktop tele?
        It is a blacktop tele body, with a warmoth neck. A have different electronics and tele style knobs ready to go, just was waiting for the pickups to get here! I just moved this weekend, so it might be a little while before everything is unpacked and my recording gear is set up again.

Originally posted by Inder_Cine_Mann View Post
        Nice. Did you keep the A5's?
        Yes I did. The jazz neck model is one of my favorites and I didn't want to change it too much.

Comment

I am very interested in what it sounds like I love the Jazz neck. I always wanted to try out a JAZZ Bridge.
          sigpic
          Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
          JFG Flying V,
          "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
          John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

So much for not changing it "much".

May I ask you the concept behind such big coil offsets?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Comment

The blacktop plate doesn't fit my new pot's threads, so I've got to stop by a guitar shop and try to find a replacement today before I finish installation.

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
              So much for not changing it "much".
              "Much" is a relative term, and in this case it was relative to the mention of changing the magnet type as well.

May I ask you the concept behind such big coil offsets?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
              In theory, it should reduce some phase cancellation that occurs with a balanced humbucker. I also wanted a jazz with a bit higher resonance peak and a bit less output, and this will provide it on one of the coils. I'm a bit of a strange breed in that I tend to like the resonance peak of pickups in the range where guitar speakers are already rolling off frequencies quite quickly (ala low-medium wound single coils). I'm VERY curious to how this pickups come to what I'd expect them to sound like!

Comment

Originally posted by MacBradley View Post
                I'm VERY curious to how this pickups come to what I'd expect them to sound like!
                You and me both! LOL!

I'm a big fan of the Jazz set too, and I'm not really able to picture the sonic outcome in my head with that big coil-offset.

Would you be able to post some clips? Curiosity is already KILLING ME! LOL!

Enjoy'em in good health.

Comment

Interesting indeed. I bet the neck pup in particular will sound good - quite harmonically complex and dynamically sensitive.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

the offset on the bridge isn't that crazy, the neck is pretty drastic

Comment

Would you be able to post some clips? Curiosity is already KILLING ME! LOL!
                      I will, but not today because my recording gear isn't yet unpacked/set up from moving yet. Hopefully by this weekend. I will at least be able to get them installed tonight, since I found a control plate that fits my pots today!

Comment

Sweet and delicious! Nice axe, nice CS pups.

Comment

Finally had time to install the pickups. Its a different guitar than the one I had a jazz in forever, same woods and scale length but with an ebony board now on the blacktop instead of rosewood. It was late so I had to play quiet and clean only, but so far here's my CLEAN CHANNEL impressions...

Neck: Sounds similar to my old Jazz pickup, but the attack feels and sounds different. I'm not sure how much is due to the ebony fretboard and how much is the lower winded coil. Its hard to describe sounds, but the attack reminds me of what happens when I dig into my Mesa with the tube rectifier and voltage sag switches on, but with some high kinda airy treble coming through on the attack. Overall, my first impression is it is a JB with a different feel to the attack that has a touch less of that low mid mud/fatness.

Bridge: I don't really play on bridge pickups clean too often (basically never), but this one I might give a shot. It isn't much hotter than the neck, so I have it quite a bit closer to the strings. Clean its a little weak in the low end compared to the neck model, but when I dug in in had a nice, clean, pleasant crunch to it on the clean channel. I can't wait to try it out on the gain channel.

Comment

Working...
                          X